Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Sauerbraten Chicken Wings

Sauerbraten Chicken Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 am
Griffin well done
well done

Germany has been on my mind a lot with Mrs. G being over there for work (yes, she's still there. Won't be home until late Wednesday afternoon). I got to talking with Kristi @NecessaryIndulg last week about chicken wings. Started me wondering if there was a German version. Did a little bit of looking around and came across one recipe (copied on 3 or 4 websites) for sauerbraten chicken wings. Nto something I had ever heard of and probably not authentic, but I love wings, so why not try a new recipe? No pictures of the marinade that I made the night before, but here are the wings going on the Egg at 400.

Halfway through

When the wings are almost done, its time to make the sauce. Basically just a roux, then add in some of the marinade that you reserve before pouring on the chicken, some chicken stock and wait for it....crushed ginger snaps. Weird huh? Toss the wings in the sauce and serve. (i sprinkled on some green onions just for color)

Interesting flavor for sure, not what you would expect when ordering wings. They were sweet but also sour and tangy. No heat at all, but why would they be? There was nothing to give them heat. Didn't really come out crispy, probably because of marinating overnight. Definitely messy. Not my favorite wing recipe in the world, but I'd do them again. Especially when Oktoberfest rolls around next fall.

Recipe is HERE if you are interested.

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Interesting twist and definitely different! How would you describe the level of sweetness?

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Not too sweet. Not like candy or anything. Nice balance to the sour.

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:46 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

When was the last time you had any spicy German food ?? Ginger snaps are in every sauerbraten recipe I've ever seen. I guess between that and the vinegar, there is all the Teutonic tang you are going to expect.

Sounds interesting. I always loved me some saurbraten with red cabbage and spaetzle...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:55 pm
scorched_porch medium-well
medium-well

Teutonic tang... LOL
Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done