Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Turkey Breast Lunchmeat

Smoked Turkey Breast Lunchmeat

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:43 am
Griffin well done
well done

I picked up a turkey breast last week for the sole purpose of having lunch meat this week. Used the Tony Chachere's Jalapeno Butter injection for some kick and rubbed it down with Dizzy Pig's Swamp Venom.

Threw it on the Egg with some apple wood chips for smoke. I had some serious issues with temperature. I was shooting for 400 (which the dome temp was reading). I'm used to having the dome temp not match the probe temp at the grate, but for most of the cook it was reading under 300....more like 250ish. I gave it plenty of time to heat up, but still. Oh well, it wasn't dinner and we weren't doing anything but watching movies so I wasn't in a rush. Here's one hour in.

IN the hour and a half it took to cook, my Maverick finally hit 300. I'm just not trusting this thing anymore. Its old. Probably should check the probes to see how accurate they are. Oh well, like I said, we weren't doing anything.

Pulled it at 160, double checked with my Thermapen. Loosely covered it with foil and let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes. Did snag a few small slices, quality control and all that. Once it had cooled a bit, into the fridge it went to sleep overnight. Next morning, I got up, pulled out my slicer and went to town.

Made quick work of it. Really digging the slicer. Not the best in the world, but its gonna do just fine for us.

That should keep me in lunchmeat for awhile. Think I might have to freeze some for later as I won't be able to eat all that by myself before it goes bad.

Flavor was spot on for what I was looking for. Nice amount of smoke, not overpowering. Had a bit of bite from the DP and the injection. Texture was right on and sliced paper thin. Way better than any store bought stuff. Definitely gonna make some good sandwiches for the week. I am one happy camper.

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I see many excellent sandwiches in your future! Would you be able to take a panini press or George Foreman grill into work? A grilled turkey & cheese on sourdough would be really good!

I knew I should've eaten breakfast before hitting the board this morning... :lol:

Return to General Discussion