Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Meatloaf Flop

Meatloaf Flop

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:36 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Ya know the saying, "Pizza. Even when its bad, its still pretty good?" Well, that doesn't apply at all to meatloaf. When its bad, its bad. No two ways about it. @dawsonhull brought up meatloaf Monday and it got me to thinking I haven't done one in awhile. The next day I saw some ground beef on sale and I decided it was time to make some again.

Instead of playing it smart and using a tried and true recipe, I looked for some new ones. I found one that looked to be promising, so I thought I would give it a whirl. Wasn't real sure what the best way to set up the Egg with an AR, still working on figuring that out, but I went 350, stone on the second level (with a drip pan fashioned out of foil), oval grate on the third level. Apple chips for smoke.

Can't believe how red it looks in that picture. Might have been soemthing to do with the flash? Anyway, started basting one of them at the 45 minute mark when it had reached 115ish. Mrs. G didn't want anything on top of hers. I used a half ketchup/half Stubbs bbq sauce with a bit of worsey sauce, some Lousiana hot sauce and a squeeze of lemon.

Finally pulled them at I'm not really sure when. It was after 7:30, but I wasn't paying attention and/or I just forgot. Whenever they reached 160ish.

Kind of a bummer. We just really didn't care for the flavor, although I'm sure the dogs would have happily devoured it. Not gonna post a link to the recipe because they are an internet friend and I don't want to hurt their feelings, nor do I want anybody to try it. I will say the only thing I altered in the recipe was using red onions instead of regular. That was just because I had half of one already cut up that needed to be used. Don't think it seriously affected the flavor much, but I'll use white from now on. And I'll go back to one of our other recipes. Hope everybody else's night cooking went better than ours.

And BTW, the new Photobucket sucks. Maybe I'm just not used to it, maybe I need to switch to somebody else. I don't like it at all.

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:47 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks good from here! Sorry you didn't care for it though. I'm sure Ollie and Bodie would have taken care of it for you. ;) But I guess onions are toxic to dogs.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm
scorched_porch User avatar
well done
well done

Well, if looks count for anything its got a purty glaze on it! Chalk it up to experience.
Argentine Grill
WSM, Pit Barrel Cooker
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm
chrish well done
well done

if this person is a friend you should be honest and let him know you had a problem and he would probable be interested in helping on pinpointing the problem.
i eat alot of onions of all types that are sold around here and never had one change the flavor in a negative way like that, can you detail what the flavor was like?
My photobucket Q-view album, 167 pic's

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z315 ... 83/Q-view/

Post Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Sorry to hear that the loaves were a disappointment but I do agree that at least they looked nice! Kind of like the hot girl that you can't wait to meet and then can't wait to get away from once you do. :twisted:

Yeah, I'm not convinced about the new PB yet, either (mentioned this is another of your threads). I wonder what kind of feedback the PB people are getting and why they even switched it in the first place.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:55 pm
d_holck well done
well done

They looked good, Griffin, but thanks for the honesty that it was actually a flop. We can learn more from mistakes than from successes sometimes. Maybe we should have a "flop thread"...
"... mmmmmmm 'bacon'."

CG Outlaw w/SFB
UDS
Old classic Weber Kettle

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm
Sledneck well done
well done

My go to meatloaf is the smokynmeatloaf from bbq usa page 212 http://books.google.com/books?id=zA37n_ ... sa&f=false
Steve

Return to General Discussion