Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cushion Meat messing with cooking times?

Cushion Meat messing with cooking times?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:07 pm
mrjohnnyucla medium-rare
medium-rare

My local Smart & Final was out of boston butts, so I bought a cryovac of "Cushion Meat". A quick googling said it was good for pulled pork, so I got it.

When I went to put the rub on this morning, the meat was actually in about 5 large chunks of roughly equal size. The whole weight of it was about 8 pounds.

Now normally I would cook it on my egg at about 225 for 1-1/2 hours per pound, so 10-12 hours (overnight). But with it in 5 smaller chunks (that I can't put back together very well), does that drastically change the cooking temps?

I was planning on cooking two boston butts of lechon asado at the same time (for the Girl Scout Tasting Bee), but I think the timing will be different now. Anyone have advice?

Thanks.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If you're looking at pieces ranging from 1-1/2 to 2 pounds each I don't think you'll need to change the temperature, just the time, and if you guesstimate 2-1/2 to 3 hours that'll probably get you pretty close.

Return to General Discussion