Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cleaning a Wire Brush

Cleaning a Wire Brush

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 pm
Powerslave rare
rare

I use the Weber 6423 12-Inch T-Brush on my grills and I love the product. However, after a period of time, the grime and build-up in and among the brush bristles renders it almost useless and it literally will start dripping grease. For the last few times this has happened I have simply tossed it and purchased a new one.

Does anyone have any proven methods as to cleaning a wire brush? I'd love to stop having to repurchase a brush just because of the build-up.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------
I love the Q. I just need to learn SO MUCH MORE!

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:13 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

You could use a small torch set to low heat to loosen the grease and then rinse it out with hot water. However, the brush head can probably only take so much heat and you certainly don't want the bristles to become loose.

What about putting it in hot soapy water and rinsing it with hot water from the kitchen sink spray nozzle after each use? Dealing with the grease before it's had a chance to build up too much might be a good approach.

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

Look into the Billy-Bar, no bristles to clean, and better yet, no bristles to fall off onto the grate and then get picked up by your food. I've read artilces about people getting hurt from eating metal bristles from grill brushes!!
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:10 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Nick wrote:
Look into the Billy-Bar, no bristles to clean, and better yet, no bristles to fall off onto the grate and then get picked up by your food. I've read artilces about people getting hurt from eating metal bristles from grill brushes!!

Definitely have to be careful of those bristles. I once got a grilled chicken sandwich at an amusement park and bit down on a bristle from the grill brush. When I opened the bun, I found a few more on the sandwich as well. Luckily it didn't stick in my tongue or break a tooth. Also guess I'm very lucky I bit down on it to notice it in the first place and did not swallow it.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm
Powerslave rare
rare

The Billy Bar looks interesting. It'll make the clean-up a little longer since each grill grate bar has to be cleaned individually as opposed to a wide brush but if it means I never have to buy it again, I'm not going to complain at all.

Thanks for the tip!
-----------------------------------------
I love the Q. I just need to learn SO MUCH MORE!

Return to General Discussion