Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Pizza in the Wood Oven

First Pizza in the Wood Oven

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:20 pm
scorched_porch medium-well
medium-well

I finally cured the thing, so naturally the first thing I wanted to do was fire a pie. Last night when I got home Mrs Scorch had picked up a couple pizza dough balls from Trader Joe's and we were in business (yes, I'd rather make my own dough but this was a quickie). So I built two pepperoni, jalapeno and black olive pies and prepped the fire.

Firing this thing was easier than it sounded (it takes like an hour and a few different steps) and once I got the hang of it, I was at around 700 degrees and the fire was going good.

Two minutes and 15 seconds later, out came the first pie. The crust was fantastic, better than I could have hoped for. I fired a second one. here they are, side by side:

Next time I think I'll cook them a little longer (like 3 minutes) but they came out way better than I though that my first ones would be. It's almost foolproof (well, to this fool at least). I can't wait to elevate my technique so I can start roasting bigger cuts of meat and chickens in this thing.
Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:55 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

We were planning on going out for Mexican food tonight but now you have me thinking pizza! They look great!

Did the crust puff up a bit?

Post Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:00 pm
scorched_porch medium-well
medium-well

They puffed up a lot - I made them a little thicker than Neapolitan (I like a crispy, yet chewy crust). Next time I'm going to experiment with leaving them in a little longer and see what that does to it.
Wood Fired Argentine Parrilla
22.5 WSM
http://thequinchoproject.wordpress.com/

Return to General Discussion