Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Prime Rib on the Egg

Prime Rib on the Egg

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:40 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I've never cooked a prime rib on the Egg. I've cooked one once before, but it was in an oven and there have been many days and bourbons since then, so my memory of that even is hazy at best. But Mom wanted prime rib and I wanted to help her out so she wouldn't have to spend day in the kitchen on Christmas. Earlier in the week I took our egg over to my parents for this cook.

13.89 lber

Seasoned up with Kosher salt, cracked pepper, diced garlic and some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick

Onto my new adjustabe rig on the egg at 250

Once it hit 115, I pulled it off and set up the Egg for a direct cook at 500 and seared it

A note from the peanut gallery as we waited on it to rest

carved

The picture doesn't really do it much justice. It was a lot pinker than it looks there. Not used to taking pictures in my Mom's kitchen.

Everything woked out great. Well...almost. I never did look into how long the sear was supposed to take. I erred on the side of caution and as a result, didn't sear it long enough. Got a bit freaked out, threw the AR back on and finished cooking it indirectly. Other than that, things went great. I took way too long doing the write up on my blog, so I actually need to get some work done, so if you are interested in a very long and verbous version of all the details (and a few mor pictures), you can check it out there.

The Not So Perfect Prime Rib Cook

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:38 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice work, Griffin. That is surely a nice roast beast! :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:24 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks awesome!!!
I think you did a great job and I’m sure everyone enjoyed it :)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:11 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's darn near a work of art! Which it would actually be, if your name's Art Griffin. :lol:

Post Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin, I read your blog you were way too critical of yourself! Everything looked great!

Post Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:34 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks Guys. it did turn out good and I was probably a little hard on myself. Hate it when a plan doesn't work out perfectly and there are people waiting. Oh well, it was worth the wait. Gonna practice some more on smaller ones.

Return to General Discussion