Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Taking the lamb leap

Taking the lamb leap

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:53 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

OK, I'm finally going to grill some lamb. I just got back from Pinn-Oak Ridge Farms, where I bought 2 sirloin chops weighing just under 8 ounce apiece and they will be grilled for tonight's dinner. I was able to spend about 15 minutes with owner Steve Pinnow and he was very friendly and helpful; while Pinn-Oak lamb can be found at some retail outlets I'm glad I went to the farm to meet him and see a little bit of the operation - 50-some lambs and 20 goats hanging in the cooler is an impressive sight! Steve likes his lamb with just salt and pepper so that's how I'm going to season 1 of the chops, and the other will be rubbed with Planet Barbecue North African Spice Rub. Stay tuned!

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Wow, getting fresh from the farm lamb!
I like cooking lamb med-rare
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'm happy to report that my fears were unfounded and my wife and I enjoyed the lamb.

I had the option between sirloin chops and loin chops and since this was an exploratory mission I went with the sirloin chops...because they were cheaper. :wink:

As mentioned, one chop received salt and pepper and the other salt and the Planet Barbecue rub.

The chops rested in the fridge for about 5 hours before I put them over direct heat.

They cooked for about 6 minutes per side with the lid closed and the heat was around medium to medium-high.

Overall the chops were pretty close to medium; they look more like medium-rare here but some of that's tinting from the juices.

Since lamb is popular in the Middle East I cooked up some couscous to serve on the side - no credit taken; it was a box mix. :wink:

We both felt the chops had a strong resemblance to steak but with a slightly sweeter flavor, and we liked them. I'll definitely cook lamb again (and not quite as done) and it'll be from Pinn-Oak. I'm happy everything worked out but I'm still not confident enough to buy random store lamb. :wink:

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:19 pm
sacmer well done
well done

I definately agee, Local lamb or most food for that matter is better. Since most of us can't go direct to the farm, it is good to understand the sourcing of your local grocery stores. For example, I live in Sacramento, CA. Our local Savemart (formerly Albertson's) source their lamb from Superior Farms. From my research, this is essentially a collective including local lamb for us here from Dixon, CA (only 20 miles away) and always fresh. There are some "Superior Farms" ranches in Colorado. Superior farms lamb is always great but the select beef at Savemart is horrible. Our local Raley's (considered a higher end market) sells Angus beef but New Zealand lamb and I have never liked previously frozen New Zealand lamb at all. Completely different flavor than local, fresh lamb.

Return to General Discussion