Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Smoked Deer Fatty and more to come (pix)

Smoked Deer Fatty and more to come (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:10 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Here's the 8 point that I got a couple weeks ago...

I got my meat back from the Processor yesterday. I took a few things out to try within the next few days.

I ended up getting 25 packs of hamburger, 12 packs of cube steak, 4 packs of bratwursts, 3 packs of hot dogs, and 1 big boneless ham that I'm going to use to make jerky.

This morning, I decided to use 1 lb of the meat and experiment with a venison fatty.

I seasoned the meat itself with a BBQ rub, some Sage and some Dale's Seasoning. Flattened that out and topped with some grated Cheddar. Then rolled it up and wrapped in bacon. The Dale's Seasoning is really popular around these parts, especially among the country folk such as myself :wink: ,and it tastes great in venison and beef burgers...You just use it kinda like you do Worcestershire Sauce.

Took the fatty to an internal temp of 160 deg f and gave it a 10 minute rest.

I think I'll be making up 2 fatties double this size for the Eggtoberfest next weekend. Instead of using Cheddar though, I'm going to use the Cheese mixture from Griffin's Turtle Eggs. That mixture should hold up much better when slicing into it. As far as the venison itself goes, it tastes awesome! No gamey taste at all. I had the Processor mix in some beef trimmings to add some fat. It's around 85/15 meat to fat, which worked out well because the fatty was still plenty juicy.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks good...I have never had venison before but would definitely be willing to try that!

smokin'gal well done
well done

Oh my, that looks so good. Nice job getting the deer and on the fatty.

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice job, but you needed more cheese in there! :lol: Was the cheddar too runny/oily?

Trollby well done
well done

I have made fatties with venison many times, I like to mix 1/2 ground venison (no fat added) and 1/2 spicy breakfast sausage (about 1# each)

Cream cheese really helps, I get mine VERY cold and slice thin sheets to lay out on the venison mixture rolled out on plastic wrap, then roll it up when done

More of a "Pin-wheel" style

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanks a lot, guys and gal. Brad, the cheddar was too runny...it spilled out and didn't really keep it's form. I used a cream cheese/colby/monteray jack mixture tonight and it worked much better.

Trollby, that's a great idea on adding the sausage. I tried another fatty out tonight, this time 2 lbs worth of venison, and thought the same thing--that it would be really good with some sausage added. I think the larger amount of venison made the results slightly "dryer" (sp?)... I took it to the same internal temp (160 deg f), but it seemed to dry out the further away from the center that I got. It wasn't too awful dry, but not as juicy as the 1 lb fatty that I made. I'm going to experiment again tomorrow with a little bit of Jimmy Dean added to the mix.

Anyways, here are the pix. The hot dogs and brats are VERY good!!! Very impressed with my Processor (Campbell's Deer Processing of Lexington, SC)...

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Nice smoke ring!

Griffin well done
well done

So jealous. :(

We are not even in deer season yet. Hoping we might be able to bag a turkey or a deer during Thanksgiving.

beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Magnificent work of art, Dyal! :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion