Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cuban Sandwiches and Fried Plantains

Cuban Sandwiches and Fried Plantains

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:11 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

So some of this was done on the Egg and some on the oven (gasp) Anyhow, we had some leftover pork loin and my wife and I love Cuban sandwiches. Unfortunately, since we don't live in Florida we don't have Cuban bread readily available so we had to improvise....Anyhow, we made some mojo sauce for the sandwiches which is orange juice, lemon juice, cumin, S&P, garlic and olive oil.

Here we were getting the garlic just a little aromatic before adding the juices, cumin and S&P.

Untitled by EKomrska, on Flickr

We also fried up some plantains. Easy enough, slice up the plantains, fry once. Take out and smoosh down and then refry.

Those are after the first frying.

Here are the assembled sandwiches. It has the mustard, pork loin (most of the time we use a shoulder but hey we can use the loin too), ham, pickles and swiss cheese.

I'm not sure what would have been better if I should have used my cast iron with the bricks inside or just the bricks. I'll try the CI next time.

Here comes the first batch. We were hungry so we didn't wait that much for the cheese to become oozing.

These are fabulous and even though only the sandwiches were made on the Egg it still is starting to break me out of my slump!

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Lookin' good Eddie! I love me a good Cuban sandwich too.

Next time you want to weigh sandwiches down like that, you could try using a sheet pan with The foil wrapped brick on top of the sheet pan. If I have two sandwiches I'll use a quarter sheet pan and one foil wrapped brick, and if it's four sandwiches I'll use a half sheet pan and two foil wrapped bricks. It works like a charm. If you do it over the grill grate and flip them to toast each side, it looks just like it came out of Panini press.

Here is a short blog entry with a picture:

http://blog.grillinsmokin.net/blog_main ... f619-9.php

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:48 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Based on the ingredients I've always wondered if the Cuban sandwich actually originated in Cuba! :lol: Did you use regular dill pickles, Eddie?

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:46 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Based on the ingredients I've always wondered if the Cuban sandwich actually originated in Cuba! :lol: Did you use regular dill pickles, Eddie?

Many people have said no that it did not originate in Cuba. I just used regular thin long sandwich pickles :)

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:27 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks deeeelicious! That's a cool idea with the bricks!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:44 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

There was a place near my job in Atlanta that served these sandwiches. So simple, yet so delicious.

Post Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:43 am
Griffin well done
well done

Oh me oh my!! I could really go for one of those right now.

Post Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:40 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks mighty fine. One of my favorites.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Return to General Discussion