Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Dry Aged NY Strips (pix)

Dry Aged NY Strips (pix)

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:23 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I was going through the garage freezer the other day, trying to make room for the venison I'm about to throw in, when I stumbled across 4 Dry Aged NY Strips I didn't realize I had. Score!! I thought we went through all of them, but I ain't complaining. :) My Mother In Law also ended up getting me a couple of Adam Perry Lang's books for an early birthday present. Tonight, I used Lang's "Four Seasons Blend " from Charred & Scruffed for the Dry Aged NY Strips.

One of Lang's tips in this book is to sprinkle your seasoning "like rain" for more even distribution. So I sprinkled from a higher location this time, and I think it really did make a great difference.

This beast took about a minute longer than the other steak:

For those of you who have never tried a Dry Aged Steak, I encourage you to do so. The beefiness and rich flavor is out of this world. Can't wait to grill up the other 2. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:55 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Man Dyal you absolutely nailed that cook. :shock: Those steaks look perfect inside and out. Really sweet CHGM on both of those steaks too. Great job all around!!!

I'm curious: how you check for doneness? Poke test, instant read thermo, visual or none of the above?

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:21 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Man Dyal you absolutely nailed that cook. :shock: Those steaks look perfect inside and out. Really sweet CHGM on both of those steaks too. Great job all around!!!

I'm curious: how you check for doneness? Poke test, instant read thermo, visual or none of the above?

Jim

Thanks a lot, Jim!! :) I'm fiiiinally to that point in my grilling abilities to where I get better results giving steaks the "poke test" rather than checking with an instant read thermometer (IRT). :lol: So that's what I do these days. My wife and I love our steaks Medium-Rare, and I can finally judge that by poking them. And if I undershoot them, then I can always throw it back on for another minute or two. Though if I had to judge a steak at any other temperature, I would probably screw them up. :lol: I guess practice makes perfect. I don't like sticking them with a fork thermometer or IRT, because it makes me cringe to lose that delicious beef juice. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Dyal. You'll notice that poking if with any kind of fork wasn't even on the list. I knew you wouldn't do that. I was getting pretty good at the poke test myself on my gas grill. But I've kind of taken a step backwards with the BGE. I find the Egg gets so hot when I'm grilling the steaks at 700° that I can't keep my hand (and my arm) over the grill long enough to give the steaks a decent poke. You certainly can't wear gloves to do a poke test. And heaven forbid my poking should cause some fat to drip and cause massive flareups. Don't ask how I know that one, besides the burn on the underside of my forearm is almost healed now. I'm curious: Do you pull the steak off the grill to give them the poke test?

At the temperatures I'm cooking steaks at on the Egg I can't use temperature probes or it seems my delicate little fingers. I'm having very good luck with the Egg, but I think some of the emphasis is on luck and not skill. I'm still struggling with some of the little things and my success has been lucky. Not complaining, but I do want to get the basics down.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:55 am
Griffin well done
well done

Gorgeous, Dyal, simply gorgeous. Your pictures keep getting better and better looking, very professional. The steaks look oustanding, perfectly cooked.

Post Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:17 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Outstanding job, Dyal! Can't beat a steak and baked potato dinner!

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:50 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

What I love about dry-aged steaks is that even VERY rare, they do not bleed all over the plate, so people who are squeamish about that don;t seem to mind as much. This gives you a lot more leeway in how your serve them. Those look beautiful and rosy. I find they cook a bit faster than the off-the shelf steaks as well.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:14 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Wow, thanks for all the great comments, guys! :)

Jim, I give them the poke test with my tongs...that way I dont burn myself. I use the same pair of tongs with just about everything I grill, so they've become my extended hand so to speak. :lol: I give them a poke while on the grill, and then again when I take them off.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:28 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I really doesn't get any better than meat and potatoes. Beautiful grill marks on those steaks. I just finished another round of dry aged ribeyes, which I'm looking forward to grilling.

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:09 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
I really doesn't get any better than meat and potatoes. Beautiful grill marks on those steaks. I just finished another round of dry aged ribeyes, which I'm looking forward to grilling.

I keep rib eyes and strips on rotation in the dry-age fridge. That way, I never get tired of either, and sometimes, they overlap so I have both ready to go.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:13 am
MN_BBQer medium
medium

Long time Mr Dyal SC!

I ordered more dry age bags so I give some ribeyes a shot. I'm gonna try and shoot for 28 days if I can last that long...
Let's have a few and talk BBQ!
CG PRO SFB

Return to General Discussion