Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion More Wings-Jamaican Jerk Wings

More Wings-Jamaican Jerk Wings

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

I originally thought I was going to be home alone for supper Sunday night. I decided to make some Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings using a recipe from the Big Green Egg LifeStyle magazine. My mother likes spicy food so I invited her over to share the wings. Then my wife ended up showing up too, I had enough wings but came up short on the sides. I had been making some Ore-Ida Grilling Potatoes which looked real good when Dyal_SC made them a few weeks back. I didn’t have enough of these to go around so I heated some chicken flavored rice to make up the slack. I’ve long wanted to try Jamaican Jerk Chicken and was really looking forward to it. I will let the pictures tell the story and I will cut to the chase on the results. The chicken was good, but not great. My wife and mother loved it, but I was surprised that it was not as spicy as I expected. The recipe called for you to marinade the chicken for 2-24 hours. I only had time for a 3 hour marinade. The Jamaican Jerk Seasoning recipe made more than was needed , so I plan to make this recipe again and use a 24 hour marinade time.

The biggest component to the marinade was Jamaican Jerk Seasoning which used: White wine vinegar, onion powder, red pepper flakes, olive oil, diced onions, sliced scallions, nutmeg, sage, soy sauce, freshly squeezed orange & lime juice, kosher salt & black pepper, thyme, Scotch bonnet chili,

The Jamaican Jerk Seasoning ingredients have been placed in the bowl of a food processor.

The finished Jamaican Jerk Seasoning. 1/4 cup is poured off and the rest was put in jars and refrigerated.

The marinade used the just made Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, Canola oil, garlic powder, ginger, chili powder, smoked paprika, kosher salt, black pepper, scallions & onion powder.

The finished marinade.

The chicken wings & the marinade are placed in a plastic freezer bag & go into the refrigerator for 2-24 hours. I was able to do 3 hours. Next time I will do it for the full 24.

It was raining fairly heavily out, but I was high & dry in my new grill gazebo.

The chicken is out of the fridge & is ready to go on the grill, which has been pre-heated to 350 degrees.

The wings and the Ore-Ida Grilling Potatoes are on the grill direct grilling at 350 degrees.

Twenty five minutes in. The wings & potatoes have 10 more minutes to go.

The finished wings.

These wings were good, and my wife and my mother loved them. I was a bit surprised they weren’t as spicy as I figured. Very tasty but not hot spicy. I had the rice and forgot to take a picture of the grilling potatoes, but everyone said they were good.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:27 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Jim, you got a magnificent char on those wings-- irresistible! And it sounds like a wonderful mix of ingredients in the marinade. Great work! :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Jim, you should taste a little of the jerk seasoning to see how it compares to the finished wings. I can recall a few cooks that didn't turn out as spicy as I thought they'd be according to the raw ingredients.

Glad to see the gazebo's already paying dividends, and BC's right on about the wings!

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:28 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks great, even if they weren't as spicy as you had hoped. Seems like the heat cooks out of jerk food in my experience. Another wonderful looking cook from you.

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:47 am
Trollby well done
well done

Looks good!

I did Jerk chicken yesterday also, mine ended up not too spicy either, I may have to up the heat a little next time

Thanks for sharing (I forgot to take pictures :( )

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:41 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Food looks great, Jim! And you look pretty dang sharp in the Egghead hat, too! :) I've been wanting to get an Egghead hat and apron. I may have to pick those up at the Eggtoberfest.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:20 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks everybody for looking and commenting. You know it's funny how some of you mentioned that Jamaican jerk wings not being as spicy as you thought they might be. I talked to some of my friends around here today who have also made it and they all said the same thing. Basically with all of the hot stuff that went into it, they were surprised how relatively mild it was. I still plan to try the longer marinade to see if that ups the spiciness.

Dyal:
The hat was a gift actually from a friend and his wife who I often cook for. He came over to see my new Egg about a week after I got it. He brought me the hat when he got out of his car. This was more than I expected and then he asked if I had the BGE Dutch oven. He and his wife bought it for me as a way of saying thanks for the meals I've made them. I've used the CI Dutch oven over half-dozen times now, but I had yet to use the hat. The rainy day yesterday was the perfect time to break it in.

I think it is so cool that you're going to the Eggtober fest. Not only are you going, you're cooking in it! How cool is that? I'm also somewhat jealous of you too, I must admit. I'd have to be careful though. With all of the available Eggcessories in one place, I probably have to keep my wallet home. I hope you're planning on taking some pictures when you're not too busy cooking. Who knows, if Apple keeps paying the quarterly stock dividend that paid for my BGE in August, perhaps I will be able to use some of that money next year to go to the Eggtoberfest 2013.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:51 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Don't worry! Plenty of pix will be taken. Hope to see you at next years Eggtoberfest... I guess we will have to wait and see if Norstradamus' Comet hits us this December though. ;)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 am
Askanison medium
medium

Nice wings.
The jamaican wings are quickly becoming my favorite even though they are never spicy.
They just have a really great flavor to them.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:58 am
p-nut well done
well done

Care to share the recipe?

Post Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:47 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

p-nut wrote:
Care to share the recipe?

http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/fired-up-chicken-wings/