Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Drumsticks & White Sauce plus Grill Gazebo Progress

Drumsticks & White Sauce plus Grill Gazebo Progress

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
jfm0830 well done
well done

When we started the work on my house, I cooked some steaks on the Egg on the second day to show my appreciation to the workers. They liked it so much and were willing to be guinea pigs for whatever I made that I have been cooking for them now for the last 3 weeks. I haven’t posted much of it, because it has been things I’d just posted from the BGE cookbook. I’ve also been using the sessions to get more familiar with my new grill. It has been win win for everyone.

So for Wednesday I made something I’ve never made before or posted. It was a recipe from Weber’s Charcoal Grilling called Tripp’s Chicken with White BBQ Sauce. The white BBQ sauce was a variation on the Big Bob Gibson’s version, but everything else about the cook was different for me. I’d never made drumsticks on the grill and never cooked chicken on high (550 degrees). I’ll let the pictures take over from here and at the end are a couple pictures showing the progress on my grill gazebo at the end of the day on Wednesday.

The ingredients were similar, but different from the original Big Bob Gibson’s version of this sauce. It used mayonnaise, chopped fresh tarragon, lemon juice, minced garlic, minced onions, butter, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, Texas Pete’s hot sauce, white wine, sugar, sea salt & pepper.

The prep was different from the Big Bob Gibson’s sauce too. First you melted some butter.

Then you added the minced onions and garlic & simmered them for 3 minutes. Then the white wine was added and the mixture was reduced down to 1/2 the volume.

When the sauce was reduced by 50 percent the pan was pulled off the stove and the other ingredients for the sauce were added.

The drumsticks have been sprayed with canola oil and seasoned with salt & black pepper. As you can see they are out at the Egg, which has been set up with the Plate Setter for indirect grilling at 550 degrees.

The drumsticks have been brushed with some reserved white sauce and will come off the grill shortly.

Dinner is served. Some country fries complete the bill of fare for today.

The drumsticks & white sauce. This was my first time grilling drumsticks, it certainly won’t be my last.

The chicken was tasty and moist on the inside & I really do love the white barbecue sauce. A mayo based sauce never sounded good to me, but once I tried it I can see it’s perfect for poultry.

Here is what the grill gazebo on my computer looks like. I was glad I knew an architect :wink: when it was time to draw this up. And the price for the plans was right too. :wink:

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Griffin well done
well done

I am so shocked that you have never grilled legs before! :shock: Did I read that right? Looks like you nailed it, especially for a first time. The white sauce is something else. Different, odd, but good.

That gazebo is really taking shape. Jealous of you just a little bit.

Dyal_SC well done
well done

Chicken legs!!! :lol: They look awesome and so does the sauce! Looks like you may not have used smoke, due to the color...or am I wrong? Your gazebo is the nicest one I've seen!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks for the kind words about the chicken in the grill gazebo.

Griffin wrote:
I am so shocked that you have never grilled legs before! :shock: Did I read that right? ...
Yes you read it right! Those were my first drumsticks ever. Traditionally I am a breast and wing man. My wife and I would split a half chicken at Boston Market, with her getting the dark meat and me getting the white meat. About three years ago I started doing chicken thighs and in some ways I like them better than chicken breasts. So when I saw this recipe for drumsticks I decided it was about time I try those as well. I definitely will be making them again!

Dyal_SC wrote:
... Looks like you may not have used smoke, due to the color...or am I wrong?
You are wrong actually. But I know what you mean, I was surprised by the color myself. I did throw a chunk of Hickory on the coals when I put the drumsticks on. They didn't color up the way I expected, but the last picture on the grill is also just after I applied the white sauce. So that did pale them up a little bit. You could definitely taste the smoke, but I too was surprised by the color. Perhaps it was the oil that went on the skin just before they went on the grill. Sometimes oil prevents things from picking up color.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

smokin'gal well done
well done

Everything looks delicious. :D

ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I really like the sound of the sauce, Jim. Did you add just a small amount of sugar for balance or did you get a slight amount of sweetness?

The gazebo's coming along nicely!

jfm0830 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I really like the sound of the sauce, Jim. Did you add just a small amount of sugar for balance or did you get a slight amount of sweetness?
There really wasn't any sweetness, so the sugar was to balance out some of the hot ingredients. Actually it was a good deal of sugar, I think it was 2 tablespoons if memory serves me. The sauce had three or four varieties of hot or tart ingredients fairly well blended together all vying for your attention. It's an unusual sauce and I didn't actually like it when I had it for the first time 5 or 6 years ago, but I'm getting so I really like it.

Jim
2 Large BGEs

Return to General Discussion