Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion BL& FGT Sammich

BL& FGT Sammich

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:54 am
Griffin well done
well done

Hope y'all forgive me for my non-grilled dinner, but it was so good I wanted to share it. I'm sure somebody could figure out how to do this on a grill (I bet I could if I put my mind to it), but after coming home from work, doing yard work in 100+ temps (had to get it done before the MIL comes this weekend) I just didn't feel like firing up the Egg. I've never seen a green tomato in a store before, let alone fried one, but when we spotted some this weekend, I immediately thought of making a BLT but with a fried green tomato. Sounded like it would work and let me tell you....it did! Simple dredge in flour, then egg wash and then corn meal that had some salt, pepper and a bit of cayenne and fried at 375 ish. Not to difficult, but so worth it. Anybody else ever make these?

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

NICE! A restaurant next to my old office in Charleston serves a sandwich just like this. SCmustardman tells me it is awesome. I was tempted to order it a few weeks ago when I was down there, but instead went with something else. I will have to order it next time. Looks deeeelicious! Nice job, Girlfin! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:00 pm
TheRod medium
medium

Haven't done that yet, but have seen it done a few places. Always looks good. This ws a bad year for tomatoes though, hard to ripe ones, let alone greenies. The one time I found some green maters, we got busy and didn't have time to even make anything with them. Ugh.
22" Performer

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Well, I am familiar with tomatillos. That Sammy sure looks like something that would float my boat, Griffin! :D
Got beer???

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking sandwich Griffin!
I’ve seen some thing similar on the Travel Channel (Man vs. Food) and been tempted to try it. There is no shortage of Green Tomatoes in Georgia :)

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 am
Griffin well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Well, I am familiar with tomatillos. That Sammy sure looks like something that would float my boat, Griffin! :D

These weren't tomatillos, beeruer, just unripened tomatoes. Definitely a different flavor and worth trying.

Post Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:03 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

Looks tasty!

As for cooking it on the grill... Cook the bacon indirect and use a cast iron frying pan over the coals to fry the tomato. :) (I cooked some bacon that exact way a few weeks ago for some burgers.)

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Return to General Discussion