Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Burnin' through the Lump

Burnin' through the Lump

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:53 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Never guessed how quickly I would go through lump now that I have the Big Green Egg. Not because it doesn't burn efficiently but rather because I use it so much. In Chicago, there is an old-time charcoal distributor North of downtown named Berger Brothers, that distributes Royal Oak in it's many forms throughout the Midwest. They will also sell to the public along with wood chips and chunks. You can buy 40# bags of Nature Glo, which is the Royal Oak packaged lump for commercial use, for $20 or a 20# bag for $10.95. Nature Glo gets a "Highly Recommend" on the Naked Whiz site. Back in April, I bought this:

And worked my way through it in four months, which is a lot of cooking for me. Headed back downtown and reloaded this week but decided to buy 20# bags this time as they are a little easier to handle.

It havent used yet but supposed to be the same as the Nature Glo. It is Royal Oak made in the US but packaged for the Canadian market, hence the French writing on the bag.

And please ignore the Kingsford briquettes in the background. That is just leftovers from my Weber days!

Another one of those unexpected costs of owning an Egg but one I will gladly pay!

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:00 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Boy that is a great price for lump!! I am finding it goes for $1.00 a pound around here. Sadly Royal Oak seems to have completely disappeared from this area. So I am jealous of you on two counts.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That seems like a pretty nice price...I'll have to check and see how close to .50/lb. Grove is the next time I buy some.

Looks like Berger Bros. is pretty easy to get to, too, since they're on Division just east of I-94. Unfortunately they're only open during the week.

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 pm
Buckeye Bob well done
well done

Yeah, that's the tough part. Only during the week until 4 and only take cash or check.

Return to General Discussion