Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Vacation grilling

Vacation grilling

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:32 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I did a fair amount of grilling when I was on vacation in northwestern Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, and while none of it was really creative or anything like that I did take some photos.

Burgers are usually on the menu for Saturday because that's the travel day and supper's simple. This year I used a Kingsford kettle grill for the first time and it was basically the same as the grill I used last year, although that one had a different name.
Image Image Image

Sunday we tried something a little different. Our future son-in-law likes lasagna so my wife and daughter built one and then I grilled it. I put 2 aluminum pans together and it actually turned out pretty good, although I would've preferred Italian sausage to ground beef. No-boil noodles really made the job easier and since the ingredients were all cooked I just put it on the grill for 45 minutes or so to melt the cheese and get a little bit of browning.
Image Image Image

On Monday the grill did double duty with both lunch and dinner. I had brought along my grill basket in case we wanted some vegetables but it actually worked quite well for a turkey, ham, bacon, and cheese sandwich.
Image Image Image

And Monday night was steak night, with a couple of big chuck steaks feeding the 5 of us and providing leftovers for breakfasts and lunches.
Image Image Image

Tuesday night we went out for pizza and beer and beer. Dinner would've been a little less expensive had I not bought the first dozen for the table...

Last year I had tried a premarinated pork tenderloin and I guess I didn't remember how salty it was, because I did the same thing Wednesday night with the same salty results. It had good flavor and was plenty juicy, though, and was actually a bit better as leftovers.
Image Image
Image Image

In the past Thursday night has been reserved for a resort-wide fish fry but a number of the regulars weren't there this year, so we had to come up with dinner on our own and chicken seemed like a good choice. I seasoned it simply with salt and pepper and grilled it direct over medium heat, and was reminded how good basic grilled chicken can be. I had thought briefly about doing it Cornell-style but didn't want to create any extra dishes to do, and as it turned out to be rainy (I had to rest the lid on the chimney when lighting the coals) basting would've been a pain.
Image Image Image

And that was it for this year. Friday night we went out for dinner at a terrific restaurant and then Saturday it was time to head home after a week that was entirely too short. And this time I managed to get in 63 holes of "Clint Eastwood golf": the good, the bad, and the ugly! :lol:

Brad

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:24 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Boy oh boy did you eat well!! Those are some mighty tasty vittles you made there Brad. I really like the looks of that lasagna.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:39 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Now that’s my kind of vacation :D
Agree with Jim on the Lasagna
Great stuff Brad!

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:11 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks like you had a great vacation. I agree, the lasagna looks really awesome.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I want to go on vacation with you. :lol: Looks terrific! I concur with everyone else....that lasagna looks amazing. I'm going to have to try a lasagna on the grill sometime.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:19 am
Griffin well done
well done

Everything looks great, Brad and we know y'all ate well on your vacation. next time let us know, I got a tent and everything. :wink:

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:51 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Be sure to bring your fishing gear! :wink:

http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/LakeD ... ic=2900200

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 am
QJuju well done
well done

Fine looking vittles for vacation. I sure hope I eat that well on mine.

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Now you did it, Brad. You done made me really hungry again. No kidding, it may be night time here, but I'm seriously tempted to go out and grill something! :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:03 pm
jstewart well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Now you did it, Brad. You done made me really hungry again. No kidding, it may be night time here, but I'm seriously tempted to go out and grill something! :D

Think how I feel living our here on the left coast after everything ya'll have cooked after I've eaten dinner, yep I'm hungry again :x :x
Last edited by jstewart on Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:09 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
Those are some mighty tasty vittles you made there Brad. I really like the looks of that lasagna.

+1 :D

Return to General Discussion