Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Friday night ribs

Friday night ribs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:45 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

A couple of weeks ago back ribs were on sale so I picked up a couple of racks for the freezer, and this past Friday I put one on the grill.

I actually prepped them Thursday night with a simple rub of salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, and onion powder, and because I was going to use a rib rack I cut them in half. Here they are after a 19-hour rest in the fridge.

They took less than 90 minutes at 350-360 indirect; fuel was briquettes with 2 chunks each of apple and hickory and I used the "bone test" to determine when they were done.

The smoke ring was pretty faint but I expected that.

High indirect heat is a perfectly acceptable way to cook back ribs and because there was no sugar in the rub there were no worries about burning. The rub created a nice crust, the meat was firm and juicy, and while there wasn't as much smoke flavor the ribs had a nice porkiness to them. This just might become my primary method for backs with the WSM being saved for spares.

Brad

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking ribs Brad!!
Having just done ribs without sugar recently, I totally agree with you. I think I like them better cooked on higher heat with simple rub.

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:28 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I'm going to have to give the high heat method a try. Those look great!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion