Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Greek Pizza w/ Yogurt-Mint Sauce

Greek Pizza w/ Yogurt-Mint Sauce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:28 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Later Friday afternoon after my brisket finished up, I began work on my first grilled pizza on the Egg.

Brisket Link: http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=220794#220794

I used a recipe from the BGE Cookbook called Greek Pizza with Yogurt-Mint Sauce. I also made their Pizza Dough recipe. I love grilled pizza on my gas grill and this was one of the tasks I planned to continue doing on the gas grill. You get precise temperature control and the method I use grills the crust on the first side and then the crust gets pulled off the grill and it is flipped and topped. Then the pizza is returned to the grill and gets finished indirectly. This results in a crust that is somewhat crispy and very tasty from getting grilled on both sides. After reading up on the Egg, it seems pizza is a very popular item and folks rave about the results. On the Egg you use a pizza stone and you are cooking at 600 degrees indirectly for 5 minutes. On the gasser you are cooking directly on the grates and doing it around 350 degrees for 4 or 5 minutes and then 8-10 minutes indirectly on the second side. This was going to be an interesting test. If anything the Egg way was quicker and more convenient. You cook for 5 minutes with no flipping and the pizza gets topped in the Kitchen not out at the grill. It would seem like you could get more pizzas out doing them on the Egg. The question is going to be will the more crispy crust from the Egg/pizza stone taste as good as the double grilled but less crispy crust from the gasser.

I’d let my Egg stay at 225 for the 3 hours between when I pulled the beans and brisket off the Egg and when I needed to crank it up to 600. I removed the Grill, the Grill Extender shelf and flipped the Platesetter to legs down and placed my Emile Henry pizza stone on the Platesetter. I wanted the stone to be at 600 degrees for 30 minutes before cooking the first pizza. I wasn’t sure how fast the temps would go from 225 to 600. I opened both vents up completely and after about 10 seconds the needle started slowly moving up. It took a minute or so and then the needle quickly began to shoot up, rising 100 degrees in 5 seconds or so. It took less than 5 minutes to hit 600. In fact some of that time was me adjusting for a 50 degree overshoot. I couldn’t believe how quickly this all happened. This thing is like a sports car. OK time for some pictures.

The Yogurt-Mint sauce is made ahead and refrigerated. It uses: sour cream, Greek yogurt, ground cumin, Kosher salt, black pepper and finely chopped fresh mint

The Yogurt-Mint sauce is ready to mix.

The Yougurt-Mint sauce is mixed and goes into a squirt bottle and gets refriegerated

Time to make the Pizza Dough.It was a relatively simple recipe using: All-purpose flour, sugar, SAF instant yeast, olive oil, luke warm water, & salt. Instead of using my KA hand mixer, I got to try out my KA stand mixer.

The all the ingredients but the water and instant yeast were placed in the bowl. I mixed the instant yeast & water and added them to the bowl. The mixing has just started with the mixer on the slowest setting.

Once the ingredients are combined, the dough continues mixing on the slowest setting for another 5-6 minutes....

...until it is smooth and looks like this. I’ve just finished kneading it by hand for about 30 seconds and I’ve formed it into a ball.

The dough ball goes into a covered dough doubling pail where it will take 90 minutes to rise to double its current volume.

The Egg is set up for pizza. The Platesetter is installed legs down and my Emile Henry pizza stone is installed on top of the Platesetter. The Egg got cranked up to 600 degrees to allow the pizza stone to pre-heat for 30 minutes.

Time to make the seasoned ground lamb. It used ground cumin, cinnamon & oregano plus minced garlic, olive oil, Kosher salt & black pepper.

The seasoned ground lamb is almost done browning, after which it is allowed to cool.

The pizza dough has doubled in volume and I’ve divided it into 4 equal sized dough balls. Two I used and two I refrigerated. The toppings are sauce, the ground lamb, quartered artichoke hearts, thinly sliced black olives, crushed feta cheese and thinly sliced red onion.

Some assembly required: First the sauce...

...then the seasoned lamb & sliced olives...

...then the crushed feta cheese...

...then the quartered artichoke hearts...

...and lastly the thinly sliced red onions. Time to grill it.

The pizza has just grilled for 5 minutes.

The pizza is back inside, it has been sliced and the Yogurt-Mint sauce has been squirted on it. Time to eat.

All the toppings were well heated through and the crust was cracklingly crispy. The pizza had great flavor and was very different from any pizza I’ve tried before. I really liked the flavor. I made two pizzas, one for me and one for my wife. She liked it so much she ate all of hers and had a slice of mine.

The crust was really crispy just like the artisan breads I’ve baked on the pizza stone. You could here it cracking as you chewed.

Which crust did I like better? This or the gas grilled version...Well the jury is still out on this. This crust was far better in the crispy department, but I think the gas grilled version has more flavor. Right now I don’t have a favorite. I will need to make a few more of each to see. I know: “It’s a tough job, but someone’s gotta do itâ€
Last edited by jfm0830 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:23 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Nice looking pizza Jim. Thats a nice change up from a standard pizza.
We have grilling nigts every couple months with some friends where pick a category and we all make something. We try to make something that isn't the standard cook. Next grilling night is pizza. This would be a unique one to try.

Looks like your really enjoying the new grill.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:59 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Nice looking pies!! Now you're rocking!

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:26 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

You artisan you... that is one inspired looking pizza, Jim! Are those sun dried tomatoes I spy in that sauce? I sure do like the choice of red onions for that recipe. I'm trying to come up with the warewithall to do some kind of pizza today myself. Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, as the saying goes. :D
Got beer???

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:54 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks for looking guys.

beercuer wrote:
...Are those sun dried tomatoes I spy in that sauce?
Guilty :wink:

What I like is I have two more balls of pizza dough in the fridge just calling out my name. I am flying solo tonight, so I am thinking I might indulge myself in a prime grade rib eye. I have to go out around 4:00 any way and I am within 1/2 mile of the butcher...

Jim

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:50 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Man, you're killing me! That pizza looks very different, and right up my alley... Great stuff! Glad to see that you're giving your new toy a workout! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:10 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I love me some Greek food, and yours does not disappoint. When I made a Greek-inspired pizza, I did it on the Weber, and I included some wood chunks. The crust was not lacking in flavor by any means. Actually, I think the flour was cold smoked with hickory too, lol.

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:55 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Dyal and sg.

smokin' gal:
There was actually plenty of smoke here too. This was the same batch of charcoal I'd used for the brisket. It had hickory chunks buried throughout. I just think the 600 degree cooking temperature/5 minute cooking time didn't allow enough time for the smoke to be absorbed into the pizza. I have no way of knowing, but I'd bet a lot of your smoke flavor was due to the flour.

Jim

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:29 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Very nicely done Jim!!
Love the toppings on the pizza, and especially the yogurt sauce. I put that sauce on everything, since it was always part of our dinner table growing up.
I see you’re already enjoying your new grill :)

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Ack...all I'm seeing for the pics are red Xs!! :( Probably a firewall/security thing here at work.

But it sounds like it turned out really good! :wink:

Brad

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Ack...all I'm seeing for the pics are red Xs!! :( Probably a firewall/security thing here at work.

But it sounds like it turned out really good! :wink:

Brad
You should now be able to see how they look too. It was some weird FTP voodoo. Sorry about that.

Jim

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:10 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Much better! And they back up your description perfectly!

Return to General Discussion