Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion I've Joined the Cult err I mean Club

I've Joined the Cult err I mean Club

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:07 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

headbuRttrubber:
I could certainly see where you thought I might have that Enterprise pizza cutter. While I'm a fan of the show, it is not part of my lifestyle like that. I did have a model of the original Enterprise when I was a kid, but it's long gone and there's no other Star Trek memorabilia around this house. I will admit that's a cool pizza cutter though, thanks for the link.

Griffin:
I didn't want to inadvertently hijack jsperk's pizza post thread, so I'll mention here I'm actually doing a brisket today. By the time that's done the gaskets going to get used for high-temperature cooks. It may or may not be broken in, but I'm dying to make some steak... and pizza... and paella.

I've got to give the paella some thought. Originally I was thinking that was one of the things I would still do on my gas grill. In reading some of the threads about ceramic cookers on the Naked Whiz website I was intrigued to see that they said the BGE is ideal for making paella. The only problem as I see it, is some of the ones I've done it involved two other sauté pans in addition to the paella pan plus I'm using the sideburner to heat some of the broth. Perhaps what I will do is use the gas grill for the two sauté pans and for heating the broth like I do now. And I'll finish off the paella after all ingredients are added together in the paella pan on the
BGE.

I can already tell on the fuel. My chickens took an hour and a half at 325 degrees. This morning when I opened up the grill there was an area of charcoal about 6 Inhes in diameter that had turned gray but wasn't burned through yet. The stuff was hardly touched!

Jim

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:19 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Boy this boys behaving little strangely! I want on it 10 o'clock and there were two new replies, with the last one being Griffins post. I replied to headbuttrubbers and Griffins posts and it put me on page 2. I went back to page 1 and I still didn't see the three the posts after griffins post. I come back an hour later and there's three posts that were obviously put up before my post but weren't showing up for some reason. Long way of saying: sorry guys I wasn't ignoring your posts - I wasn't seeing them.

First of all, thanks for all the kind words from everybody about my future endeavors on the egg. Right now I'm just feeling my way around trying to learn this thing before I start cooking for more than just my wife and I.

Right now I'm in the middle of doing a little experiment in brisket. I wanted to do a brisket cook because I haven't made brisket in a while and I figured it would help with the break in period on the gaskets. As it turns out I could only lay my hands on a 2 1/2 pound piece of brisket locally. It was actually a brisket flat cut in half. So the brisket itself turns out to be part of the experiment. I thought it would be interesting to see how well a small brisket like this would cook up, because it's perfect for a quick small meal when you are not cooking for a whole lot of people and don't have a lot of time. I was thinking this was going to be for supper, instead it will be for lunch. Meanwhile I spent a good chunk of the morning running errands, when I came back home the BGE was at 225 right where I left it.

Brad:
Amen on the bands. Actually the dealer needs come out and look at my bands I seem to have a slightly leak near one of the hinges. They called to come out today but I already had my brisket on.

QJuju:
In the past I will admit to being annoyed listening to BGE owners rave about their grills. I always knew it was a great grill, but until I actually ate some food cooked on one I had absolutely no idea. I never figured it would be this much better than some of the other types of grills. Turns out I was dead wrong. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about this hobby. It wasn't that I was getting jaded, but this is like a whole new exciting adventure that I'm beginning. Okay, getting down off my soapbox and shutting up.

Jim

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:10 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Awesome cook on your beautiful new toy. I wish you many, many happy cooks.

P.S.

You have been assimilated. Welcome to the collection, 8 of 30. :lol:

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:21 pm
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks smokin' gal. I am having a ball with this hobby again big time!!

I will need to get your name in the collective. My guess would be something to the effect of smokus maximus. :roll:

Jim

Post Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:06 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Welcome to the club....I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way you did when we talk about our Eggs and how amazing they are.....But they honestly are just the most amazing thing I've ever cooked on....Whenever someone starts talking about smokers or something I always rave about my BGE...They ask how much and I tell them and then they give me the eye and I say "hey, I have a lifetime warranty and I have no need to cook in the house ever again"

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:06 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Thanks Eddie! It is good to be here. I always knew the BGE was a great grill. Things don't get that kind of word of mouth reputation if they aren't any good. But sometimes BGE owners do tend to go on and on about their grills. This is when I used to want to roll my eyes and say something, but I was always polite. I figured it was good, but NOT THAT GOOD. It was a good thing I was always polite too, because I ended up asking some of those same folks (both here on this board and locally) to help me out when I was shopping for the grill and Egg-cessories. The BGE also did seem over-priced. I still feel that way, but having used one now the price is a little easier to swallow.

I'm already the owner of several devices that have cult-like users: TiVo, Macintosh, iPhone & iPad, so what is another? I try to contain my "love" for those devices and don't volunteer my opinion unless asked. If someone wants to use something else that is fine-choice is good. I shall try not to get too obnoxious about my Egg, although it is very hard. I mean I've already made the juiciest chicken, the best steak and the best grilled pizza I've ever had in the first 3 days I've owned it. I made a frittata on the Egg and plan to use it for baking breads and dessert. So Yes: I'm in the cult, I've drank the Kool-Aid, and I will attend the secret meetings. Smokin' gal has told me my number in the collective is 8 of 30 (that one really cracked me up). But I shall also try to always rememeber there are lots of great grills out there, and as long as people are having fun with whatever they use that is what counts. It isn't just the grill it is the cook too. I always remember Steven talking about an amazing meal he had that was cooked in the hubcap of a car!!

Jim

Previous

Return to General Discussion