Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Birthday Butts...preview for Saturday

Birthday Butts...preview for Saturday

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:43 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

My wife's birthday is Friday and she requested Pulled Pork and Ribs for her birthday bash this weekend. I went ahead and knocked the butts out this past Saturday since it reheats so well out of the freezer. I'll just concentrate on the ribs and sides on the day of her party.

I can't remember if I've ever injected boston butts or not, but I went ahead and injected these with some Apple Juice to see if it added any flavor. I also went ahead and trimmed most of the fat off the butts so that way I could get better rub penetration and more bark on the final product.

Smoked everything up with a mix of Hickory, Cherry and Alder.

Rubbed them down with a homemade Apple Rub that I've been working on perfecting.

I smoked these up low and slow this go around since I didn't have anywhere to be on Saturday. The BGE maintained a 225-250 deg f grate temp the entire day. Once I got it dialed in, I forgot about it and did yard work. One of the great things about this grill. :)

Here are the butts about 4 hours into the smoke. I went ahead and peeked at them to make sure everything was cooking evenly, and I also inserted a digital thermometer into one of the butts at this time.

They started hitting their plateau and it was getting late, so I foiled them up toward the end. I already had some good bark on them anyways at the 169 deg mark.

Here they are finished:

Bone slid right out of both...

They just melted apart....very little effort was needed to pull these. Sorry, no pulled pix....it was late. :wink: But I will have plenty of pix of the final product this Saturday. :) Gonna be a good day....having some Pulled Pork, Baby Backs, Blue Cheese and Bacon Cole Slaw, and some Big Moe Cason's Peach BBQ Baked Beans! 8) Everyone is invited. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:19 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Impressive! I really like the way you went all out, my friend. I'm inspired by that. Your rub is colorful and tasty looking and I do like your blending of wood smokes. Even your sides sound most inviting. I sure wish I could be there!!! :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

Best butts I've seen since the beach volleyball game! :lol:

Seriously... nice job! Your wife is going to have a special birthday.

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:55 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Good job of planning ahead! You've eliminated a possible major headache for Saturday and the pork's flavor will have time to develop some consistency throughout.

What's your address again? :wink:

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thank you, gentlemen! :) I just hope I can find a way to fit 4 or 5 racks of baby backs on the egg on Saturday. Should be interesting.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:46 am
Griffin well done
well done

Your wife's butts look good. :oops:

I think my invitation must have got lost in the mail cuz I know you have it. :wink:

Sounds like you need to invest in a rib rack...or better yet and adjustable rig. Just tell your wife you are getting it for HER party. :D

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:19 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Your wife's butts look good. :oops:

I think my invitation must have got lost in the mail cuz I know you have it. :wink:

Sounds like you need to invest in a rib rack...or better yet and adjustable rig. Just tell your wife you are getting it for HER party. :D

I'll tell her you said so. :lol: I got a coupla rib racks. I haven't really used them to capacity yet. I'll see how it works on Sayurday.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:55 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Forgot to ask...you got a recipe for that slaw? Sounds tasty.

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:54 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Forgot to ask...you got a recipe for that slaw? Sounds tasty.

I haven't made it, but SCmustardman tells me it's awesome. I got the recipe from him, so I'm blaming him if it's bad. ;)

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2008/ ... e_coleslaw
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:23 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

Anything with bacon and blue cheese cannot be bad! Mix in the bacon right before serving so that it does not get mushy. I'm with QJuju. Yours look good but not anything like the beach volleyball girls. :D
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:44 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Great looking pork Dyal!!
I’m sure your wife would appreciate all your hard work. You’ll eat well too :)
No need for rib rack, just use this method
Have a great time and post more pix :D

Return to General Discussion