Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion propane question

propane question

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 pm
DookTibs raw
raw

Hi all - my lovely wife just got me a new toy for my birthday, a Char-Broil Patio Bistro propane grill. Been grilling/smoking for a few years but always over charcoal and wood; this is the first time I've done anything with propane and I must admit I'm a little skittish about blowing myself up! :D

Anyway I'm following all the safety precautions in the setup manual, wondering if this is something that everyone actually does in the real world or not...and now I'm glad I did, as it looks to me like in one of the leak tests I am seeing growing bubbles.

What I did was, make a solution of soapy water, and brush it onto all the connections/seams going from the tank to the grill. On one of the spots near where the regulator attaches to the propane tank, I think I am seeing some small bubbling action. I see this whether or not I have the valve to the tank open or not; not sure if that means anything. I do NOT see the effect if the regulator is disconnected entirely from the tank. I also don't see this type of minor action at any of the other locations where I brushed on the soapy solution.

What I'd like is a second opinion on this. I shot a little video, first with the tank closed and then with it open. It's a lot less dramatic than other leak videos I found online, and what I'm wondering is am I just seeing the effect of gravity mixed with my own paranoia, or are these bubbles really growing? Also, is this type of leakage (if that's even what it is) the sort of thing that just is an annoyance/expense where you lose some propane over time, or is it a real hazard where I will blow my house up if I light this sucker? Anyone with more experience care to comment?

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLReeyjl ... r_embedded

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

I don't think you have a leak.
Mix water with a little liquid soap don't shake to make bubbles.
Just coat the area with the solution ( no bubbles) its easier to detect a leak
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:35 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I kinda agree. I don't think thats a leak.

For leak detection I keep a jug of kids bubble stuff around
The glycerine lets a leak blow a real bubble. No doubt then.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Return to General Discussion