Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Parsnip "bacon"

Parsnip "bacon"

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:27 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

No, it's not real bacon, but if you are not able to eat the real thing, check it out.... Use a vegetable peeler to slice parsnips into thin strips. Lightly oil, and sprinkle with smoked salt (we use hickory.) Bake on parchment paper for 1 hr 15 min at 300F. These can really perk up a turkey burger for those on fat-restricted diets.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:08 pm
harry_canyon well done
well done

Interesting...

Take care,

Derek
Always keep an open mind. But not so open that your brain falls out.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I'll have to admit that I did a double-take when I saw this post. It sounds like a great idea, though - parsnips are pretty uncommon food in this day and age but prepared well they can be delicious.

There's one thing to always remember with parsnips, though. They always taste much better after a frost. I grow them up here, and they're one of the few veggies you can harvest even when there's snow on the ground (which is good because they grow very slowly). I'd swear that they get way sweeter after they've been lightly frozen and thawed, because the starch in them converts to sugar.

In fact, that's the only way I like to eat them. They've got a strange taste when they're picked fresh and not everyone finds them very pleasant. Your results will definitely vary, but if I buy new parsnips at this time of year I like to stick them in the freezer for 30 minutes or so before they go into the fridge for storage.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion