Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Santa Maria Style Tritip

Santa Maria Style Tritip

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:33 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

What do you expect from Californy, right?

First I seared it over high heat, then took it up to temp on the indirect side. I did not have red oak, but I got the hickory chips going for a great flavor enhancer. Pulled it at 130 degrees, let rest, then sliced.

The meat actually had more red color than the picture reveals. I guess it took to long to take the picture after I sliced it. And I know..., I cut the one section bass ackwards. I'm just not feeling completely well today. Either that, or blame age.

Anywho, this turned out delicious-- juicy, tender, salty, peppery, and hot from all that pepper, with a decided garlic/onion presence. For those who do not know, a traditional Santa Maria meal would include salsa, pinquito beans, buttered French bread, and a tossed salad for the sides. :D

Got beer???

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Can't go wrong with tri-tip. What kind of rub/seasoning did you use?

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:04 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks great, BC! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:28 am
QJuju well done
well done

Looks mighty tasty! A perfect Santa Maria Meal. I have made the recipe from BBQ USA and thought it was delicious. Have you seen that? How would you say it compares to the traditional recipes from your area?

It's been too long since I have made this... time to get it back on the list.

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:01 am
jsperk well done
well done

That looks tasty indeed. I wish I could buy tri tip here.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:56 am
jstewart well done
well done

I was planning to fix blue cheese stuffed burgers today, but now I'm thinking tri-tip is a better choice!
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:24 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Great tri-tip, beercuer! That looks like what I'm familiar with - I've had the real thing a few times when I've stayed in the area.

Now I've got to see if the local butchers have done their homework and figured out where the actual tri-tip is. I rarely see one whole anymore up here - it's always sliced into small steaks.

This has been a challenge ever since I first heard of tri-tip. There has been a bit of turnover in local meat-cutting talent the past two years so I have to keep educating 'em.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion