Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Brats in a Sauerkraut Bock Bath

Brats in a Sauerkraut Bock Bath

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:18 am
Griffin well done
well done

The other night Mrs. G informed me that she wanted brats for dinner. Who am I to argue with SWMBO'ed? Happy wife, happy life and all that. Plus, I like brats. :D

It's been a looooong time since I've visited the beer bath method for brats. Probably over 7.....8 years. I know there are fans in of brats who will argue till they turn blue on the proper way to cook a brat, but for me...I've always gone with the grill direct over medium low heat method and I've always gotten good results. But I decided to change things up a bit this time just for giggles.

Got the Egg set up at 400 direct for the cook. I grinded up some fennel seeds, black pepper, thyme, crushed red pepper and celery seed and mixed it up with some sauerkraut and a Shiner Bock in a 10" ci skillet and then added the brats

Simmered them for about 20-30 minutes

Then grilled them and returned them to the bath while Mrs. G whipped up some sides

Served them up on a bollilo bun with some kraut and spicy mustard and dinner was ready

I really enjoyed how the Shiner and the spices really elevated the flavor of the kraut and I think it worked really well with the brat. I know that this isn't the true way to do them, but I've been thinking about our upcoming trip to Germany and it made perfect sense to me to give it a try. The brat purists can go ahead and argue all they want about it, this was a good method even if it wasn't true.

Brats in a Sauerkraut Bock Bath

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:20 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Dang that looks awesome. I've made brats like that before too...it is a great method. I'm envious of your trip to Germany! Sounds like fun!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:36 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Dem dar brats look juicy and delicious, Griffin!

(Did you get the rice recipe)? :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:03 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Very nice Griffin. Enjoy your trip to Germany.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 am
QJuju well done
well done

Beer, brats, sauerkraut... man... you are hitting all the food groups from my childhood. My mother was German and that was a week night meal. Looks delicious! We didn't have a bun, but we did have some awesome German tater salad.

Post Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:00 am
jsperk well done
well done

Love some brats and kraut. That may be a staple for football season. On second thought I don't think I can wait that long to make this.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:27 am
smokeybeaver well done
well done

If it tastes good to you, who cares about tradition? I am a little surprised that the bock was a good choice to braise the sausages in, but maybe the sweetness was offset by the flavor of the kraut. Looks delicious.

Return to General Discussion