Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chicken Cordon Bleu with Orange Rice and Wine Gravy

Chicken Cordon Bleu with Orange Rice and Wine Gravy

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

I wanted to serve my brother something a little more "restaurant" style this weekend. So I rolled out the boneless-skinless-tasteless chicken breasts and flattened them like pizza dough. Next was to take little blocks of Swiss cheese and roll that cheese in slices of ham. Those rollups in turn got rolled in the flattened chicken breasts. And those got rolled in corn meal.

On to the grill for an indirect cook. Just a hint of mesquite lump for seasoning.

Hard to tell the difference between start and finish!

Time to plate on a bed of orange rice (with bits of celery), and asparagas on the side. Finished it off with a gravy sauce that included crimini mushrooms, milk, garlic, nutmeg, and pinot grigio white wine. :D

Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:20 am
QJuju well done
well done

I have been anxiously awaiting these pics. They did not disappoint! One fine looking meal and I bet it was most delicious.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:48 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

One word--beautiful!

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:47 am
Griffin well done
well done

That is awesome!! Looks incredible.

Is cornmeal the normal breading that is used on those?

What made the rice orange like that? Would like to get that recipe.

Thanks for sharing.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:31 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks killer, beercuer! As always, A+ for presentation! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:58 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you kindly, Friends :D

Griffin-- Cordon bleu recipes normally call for some kind of breaded coating. Cornmeal is my own adaptation. I prefer that because it is so easy, user friendly, adheres well, and most importantly offers a superior crispier texture and flavor. Bread crumbs can get mushy.

The orange is attained by egg yellow food coloring. You can see all the details about that in my prep post here:
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/view ... hp?t=23509

As for the recipe, I highly recommend long grain rice that is from either Vietnam or Thailand. I find that rice offers the best quality flavor and texture. I mean it is much easier to get separate individual grains rather than sticky clumps of mush. And though Uncle Ben's has excellent texture, it's not only a lot more expensive, but the flavor to me is a bit off-- almost like too processed or something. So here is the basic formula:

***Edit-- recipe deleted :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion