Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion After Chargriller

After Chargriller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm

I haven't posted here before, but I do browse through the posts regularly. I currently have a Chargriller Pro, I've done several mods to it and have had it for about 3 years. I'm thinking I might want to upgrade, but am not sure where to go from here. I don't want anything real expensive, probably nothing over $400. So what's the next level after the Chargriller?

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:50 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Weber Smoky Mountain, they make two sizes, 18.5 and 22.5. I have both and can't say enough good things about them. $300 for the small one and $400 for the larger one with free shipping through Amazon.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking about a WSM, but have only used a horizontal smoker and haven't tried using a vertical one.

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:28 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

A chargriiler kamodo for $300
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:17 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

lostarrow wrote:

A WSM is a good idea, but I'd go with the kamado too - you've already got a smoker and it's got a good few years left in it yet (my Outlaw is 6 years old now and going strong). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:58 pm
Michigander medium-rare
medium-rare

+1

I have been very happy with mine for anything other than slow and low, which I use the CG w/sfb for
Smoke it like you stole it

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

I have the Kamado Kooker, WSM and Chargriller w/SFB. I prefer the Kamado Kooker for all types of cooking, low 'n slow, indirect grilling & high heat.

The only drawback is it's smaller cooking area. If I have a larger smoke, I'll either use the WSM or both the WSM and Kamado.

Michigander, I'm very surprised you use the Chargriller w/sfb over the Kamado for low and slow. The Kamado uses much, much less fuel and is much easier to maintain a steady temp. What makes you choose it over the Akorn?
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Return to General Discussion