Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion How Do You Cook Chuck Steak.

How Do You Cook Chuck Steak.

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:28 am
kiwifusion rare
rare

I have quite a bit of chuck steak left after making sausages (beef, horseradish and mustard). How would I grill it; It is about an inch thick and 10 cm long. Should I treat it like skirt steak, high fast and cut it across the grain in thin strips? Smoke it low and slow like a brisket? Cook it rare or medium? What I want are thin strips to go in a winter salad.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:23 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Tough call - just like chuck steak itself.

There's plenty of fat in chuck steak so low and slow is definitely an option. But one of the things I do is to cook it really hot and fast up to rare or medium-rare. Season it as you like, then get the sharpest knife you have in your kitchen and cut it in paper-thin strips diagonally across the grain. And I mean paper-thin - anything above about 1 mm can be chewy.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:10 pm
Mark4mn rare
rare

I like to marinade it... Teriyaki is family favorite. Indirect cook it, followed by a couple of minutes of high heat to brown it. If you do not overlook it, it makes a good steak.

M
CG Outlaw w SFB
18.5 Weber Kettle
Smokin-it #2

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:31 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

Usually I use chuck as "pulled beef." Now I would cook it sous vide for 30-70 hours and it rare. If you are grilling it high heat, do what CanadaBBQgy says and slice it VERY thin.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Return to General Discussion