Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Western Casserole

Western Casserole

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:24 am
Griffin well done
well done

This is a dish I grew up with as a kid and has always been a favorite of mine. Last night I decided to take it a step further and bake it on the Egg to add some smoke to it and it elevated it even further in my mind. Its a simple dish of ground beef, tomato soup, extra sharp cheddar cheese, kidney beans and some corn but man is it good. Even better when its cold out, but I was craving it last night.

Already prepped and ready to go on the Egg

400 indirect with some pecan for smoke

30 minutes later served up with some biscuits. Mmm, mmm, mmm... I was in heaven

So tasty and the smoke just made it better. I could imagine sitting around a campfire and making this in a dutch oven over an open flame. Did it need to be cooked on the Egg? No....but it sure did taste better.

Recipe Here

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Is this Texas' version of a tuna casserole? :lol:

Looks like it'd be great with a little shredded cheese on top and served with a side order of football on a December Sunday. Is the final product fairly thick?

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:29 am
Griffin well done
well done

It doesn't need cheese on top, its got plenty inside. I'd say its about the consistency of chili. That being said, sometimes you can eat it with a fork, soemtimes you need a spoon. perfect food for football time.

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:44 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks great! I gotta try this one out.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:05 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Great idea for comfort food, Griffin. If you had something green color in there, I would think of a chili succotash. As it is, you sure got nice coloring on your biscuits! :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion