Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion our friends at chargriller

our friends at chargriller

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:18 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

i came to find out my spacer tubes that came with my side fire box where to short for my grill couseing the side to bow out and the lid not closeing correctley . my good friends at chargriller are sending them to me free of charge pluss a extra item for my trouble ill never own anything else
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:42 pm
JeffJ2112 rare
rare

That's great.

I do love my Char-Griller, but I do have to say there are a few things out there I wouldn't mind having besides it. 'Cousre the cost a few grand and the wife won't let me(yet).
CG 2121 w/FSB

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:06 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

My main cooker for 11 years was a CG/ SfB till the wheels fell off ( LITERALLY)
My CharGriller Kamodo is SO much better built I expect a LONG to,e out of it!
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

lostarrow wrote:
i would give anything for akamodo but cant find them in my area i guess lowes would order one for me but the cost is a little out of my range but chargriller as for there service cant be beat
TIMS BBQ

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:24 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

timbarber84 wrote:
lostarrow wrote:
i would give anything for akamodo but cant find them in my area i guess lowes would order one for me but the cost is a little out of my range but chargriller as for there service cant be beat

I'd have to disagree with you. Big Green Egg has a lifetime warranty on their products..Yes that's lifetime! Once you buy the BGE you'll never need anything else except maybe another BGE :)

The initial outlay is pricy but in 10 years you'll be on your 2nd or 3rd CG which now you'll be around the same price as the BGE :)

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:40 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

EddieK1376 wrote:
timbarber84 wrote:
lostarrow wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you. Big Green Egg has a lifetime warranty on their products..Yes that's lifetime! Once you buy the BGE you'll never need anything else except maybe another BGE :)

The initial outlay is pricy but in 10 years you'll be on your 2nd or 3rd CG which now you'll be around the same price as the BGE :)
i gree eddie but being on a fixed income dosent always let you get the biger better grills i know theres better grills then cg but for the price there service cant be beat
TIMS BBQ

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:53 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

In an ideal world I too would own a BGE. But right now I have other things I need to spend the money on, like doing some renovations to our house. So in the real world, my choice is get a CG Kamado grill for my birthday at the end of the summer or do without. Unless I find some smoking gun pointing to why I shouldn't get the CG, I plan to get the CG.

Frankly I was quite surprised and impressed by the build quality of the CG Kamado grill. It far exceeds the build quality of their other models. My CG Smokin' Pro has lasted me nearly 8 years. Granted mine is a made in the US model and not the version they outsourced to China. But based on eight years out of my CG, I can certainly see getting 10 years plus out of the CG Kamado. At that point I could get another one or look into something different. Who knows what new technologies may come to barbecue in 10 years.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:19 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

jfm0830 wrote:
In an ideal world I too would own a BGE. But right now I have other things I need to spend the money on, like doing some renovations to our house. So in the real world, my choice is get a CG Kamado grill for my birthday at the end of the summer or do without. Unless I find some smoking gun pointing to why I shouldn't get the CG, I plan to get the CG.

Frankly I was quite surprised and impressed by the build quality of the CG Kamado grill. It far exceeds the build quality of their other models. My CG Smokin' Pro has lasted me nearly 8 years. Granted mine is a made in the US model and not the version they outsourced to China. But based on eight years out of my CG, I can certainly see getting 10 years plus out of the CG Kamado. At that point I could get another one or look into something different. Who knows what new technologies may come to barbecue in 10 years.

Jim

I have seen the CG Kamado it does exceed anything else by CG. Don't get me wrong here i had a CG Trio before so I was once partial to CG and if it wasn't for a student refund check for school when I finished my graduate program I wouldn't have bought a BGE :)

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:00 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I am sad to say that I will be pushing my CG trio to the curb tomorrow. I gave her about 10 years worth of work in only 2. :lol: Grilled on her about 6 days per week during those 2 years. She provided me with some extraordinary meals.

About 2 weeks ago, I uncovered it for the first time in several months...maybe a year... The porcelain grates were all shot, the burner guards on the gas side were shot, the charcoal tray in the MC was shot, side burner was shot, etc. I decided though that I wanted to grill up some Turkey Brats on the gas side, placing them on top of my WSJ's grill grate since the porcelain grates were chipping so bad. I looked at the base of the chamber and it looked pretty clean....I'd seen it a lot worse when I used it regularly...a little bit of dirt, goo and grime, but not a lot.

So I fired it up and was going to let it cook off and clean up for about an hour before putting the brats on. About 15 minutes later, it was engulfed!!! :shock: It got so hot that the temp gauge was wrapped around 700 f, and the paint was burning black. There were flames rolling out from under the lid, burning the paint and the handle. Smoke was everywhere. So my wife quickly ran into the kitchen and threw me the fire extinguisher. Looking back, I think that the grease solidified with time, and what I thought was just dust and dirt was actually more solidified grease. Doh! :x In hindsight, I should have just gotten my hands dirty and cleaned it out manually instead of trying to burn it out. Oh well, it was time anyways.

But the CG will forever be in my heart. :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:45 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
I am sad to say that I will be pushing my CG trio to the curb tomorrow. I gave her about 10 years worth of work in only 2. :lol: Grilled on her about 6 days per week during those 2 years. She provided me with some extraordinary meals.

About 2 weeks ago, I uncovered it for the first time in several months...maybe a year... The porcelain grates were all shot, the burner guards on the gas side were shot, the charcoal tray in the MC was shot, side burner was shot, etc. I decided though that I wanted to grill up some Turkey Brats on the gas side, placing them on top of my WSJ's grill grate since the porcelain grates were chipping so bad. I looked at the base of the chamber and it looked pretty clean....I'd seen it a lot worse when I used it regularly...a little bit of dirt, goo and grime, but not a lot.

So I fired it up and was going to let it cook off and clean up for about an hour before putting the brats on. About 15 minutes later, it was engulfed!!! :shock: It got so hot that the temp gauge was wrapped around 700 f, and the paint was burning black. There were flames rolling out from under the lid, burning the paint and the handle. Smoke was everywhere. So my wife quickly ran into the kitchen and threw me the fire extinguisher. Looking back, I think that the grease solidified with time, and what I thought was just dust and dirt was actually more solidified grease. Doh! :x In hindsight, I should have just gotten my hands dirty and cleaned it out manually instead of trying to burn it out. Oh well, it was time anyways.

But the CG will forever be in my heart. :)

Luckily the CG wasn't anywhere near the house bud! Sorry to see the CG Trio go bye-bye!

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:42 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Dyal_SC wrote:
So I fired it up and was going to let it cook off and clean up for about an hour before putting the brats on. About 15 minutes later, it was engulfed!!! :shock: It got so hot that the temp gauge was wrapped around 700 f, and the paint was burning black. There were flames rolling out from under the lid, burning the paint and the handle. Smoke was everywhere. So my wife quickly ran into the kitchen and threw me the fire extinguisher.

She should've thrown you the camera as well! :twisted:

Glad there was no major damage to anything else.

Return to General Discussion