Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pizza Rolls

Pizza Rolls

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:45 am
Griffin well done
well done

Was kinda craving pizza last night, but wanted something a little different so I decided to make some pizza rolls instead.

Roll out your dough (I used a store bought dough from Tom Thumb (aka Randall's or Safeway) due to not having the time to make my own yesterday) as thin as possible and lightly sauce and top as you would a pizza.

Roll it up

Then let it chill in the fridge as you get your cooker of choice ready to go at 450 indirect. Once its set up, remove the rolls and slice into 2" sections and place on your cooker.

Mine took about 18 minutes to bake, but times may vary depending on your dough recipe, how thin you rolled it out and how big your roll ended up being.

I was quite pleased with these and surprised that even using pretty much the same ingredients, it was quite different than pizza. Maybe it was the ratios of the ingredients and the way the dough cooks differently since its rolled up. Whatever it was, these were still good. I might not ever make them for a meal again, but they would make a great appetizer. I'll be playing around with these more in the future.

Pizza Rolls

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:17 am
BillyQ medium-well
medium-well

I hate you. :P

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:38 am
toyman medium
medium

what an interesting idea! did u seal the bottoms, or leave them open? I recently did a muffaletta roll. tapenade, capicolla, & provalone. it turned out excellent, but the slices would have been better. Genius!
Large Big Green Egg
JennAir NG 3 burner
Wood Fired Oven
Ultra Sear Grill
Weber Silver B

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 am
QJuju well done
well done

Old Chicago Pizza makes something similar... they are delicious. Yours look better and they were grilled. Awesome!

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:50 am
Griffin well done
well done

toyman wrote:
what an interesting idea! did u seal the bottoms, or leave them open? I recently did a muffaletta roll. tapenade, capicolla, & provalone. it turned out excellent, but the slices would have been better. Genius!

Left them open which resulted in a nice surprice of a crispy, flavorfull crust on the bottom due to the melted cheese and sauce leaking out just a bit. So tasty.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very cool! I could do this with my perforated grill sheet and hopefully not lose too much of the filling.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:26 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great job on those Italian Sticky Buns! :lol: Great idea!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:46 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Dang, those are moving to the top of to do list. I have a meat loaf getting ready to throw on. I don't feel like cooking that now. Awesome grub.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:13 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Friffin, I am impressed. You got a superior roll on your dough, and those rolls look too tempting.

Now I know you like jalapenos. Have you ever thought of placing jalapeno rings atop your pepperoni? I find the Trappey's brand bottled jalapenas are terrific for topping pizzas and bringing out all the flavors all the more. :D
Got beer???

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:36 am
Griffin well done
well done

Sorry about that, jspeck. I'm sure your smoked meatloaf was excellent, too.

Beercuer- I have never thought of putting anything in them. This was the first time I did them and it was a last minute kinda decision. But next time....jalapenos it is!! :D

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:30 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

That's a great idea Griffin--nice job.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:14 pm
BBcue-Z well done
well done

That looks so good Griffin!!
I must try that soon :)

Return to General Discussion