Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Tri-tip, cheeken and Battle Shots

Tri-tip, cheeken and Battle Shots

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:42 am
Griffin well done
well done

Went down to Austin to help my old college roommate celebrate his 37th b-day this weekend. He's from California, so he's convinced bbq is all about the tri-tip...silly boy.

He threw a mess of tri-tip and cheeken onto his new gas grill that he bought earlier this summer.

Then he walked away to go play ladderball. I'm hearing the grill sizzle and start to see smoke, so I go to check it out. Prevented anything from getting burnt. He notices and says, "I was hoping you would take over grilling anyway." Yay me (read sarcasm). Nothing I hate more than cooking for a large group of people on a grill you are totally unfamiliar with. But here I go.

Some shots should help

More grilling (there was even more cheeken than this cooked). And if you are wondering about the tri-tip, I decided to reverse sear them. I let them cook up top on the warming racks, then when they got close, I cranked up the grill and seared them off to finish. Everthing turned out really good.

Somehow I have no final pictures, but there was cake

And then there was Battle Shots. Think Battle Ship...but with drinking. Shot glasses were filled with beer, but you had to do a real shot when you ship got sunk.

Luckily, my partner and I lost out in the first round and didn't go through the quarter finals, semi-finals and then the finals, not to mention we opted out of fighting back from the loser's bracket and all the other nonsense. Once was enough for us. All in all it was a great weekend, but the ride back to Dallas was long and quiet as some of the people who went with me might have had a little too much fun with Batlle Shots the night before.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

For being unfamiliar with the grill it looks like you did just fine!

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:53 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks, some of the chicken legs got away from me, but all in all it was good.

What irked me a bit was after doing all the hard work, the b-day boy carries it inside and proceeds to cut the tri-tip with the grain as me and his brother in law are protesting and urging him to cut it against the grain. Some people...

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:01 am
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

i knew that couldent have been a gas grill in my buddys back yard im the same as you nothing worse then cooking on a strange grill did real good thoe
TIMS BBQ

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Loooks like you did real good. No surprise.Love that drinking game.
I can't get tri tip where I live.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Nice job Griffin. So uh, how many shots had you had by the 4th picture? You're grinning like the Cheshire Cat in that pic. :lol:

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:33 am
QJuju well done
well done

I look at it this way... when they volunteer you to cook it means you are doing an awesome job! Nice cook on a new grill!

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:02 am
Griffin well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Nice job Griffin. So uh, how many shots had you had by the 4th picture? You're grinning like the Cheshire Cat in that pic. :lol:

Umm...that would be number one. Although I had a few bourbon and cokes by then.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:30 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nice lookin' spread, Grif! Too bad I missed ya in Austin. Happy birthday to your buddy! :)
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion