Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Barbacoa Tacos

Barbacoa Tacos

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:55 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Smokin'gal and I were of a similar mind today.

Let me start by first introducing the cast of characters. Here is the package of barbacoa (skirt steak) that I picked. The meat comes premarinated, and I must say they did a mighty fine job. They done did it right.

I also tried a new variety of tortilla--The Romero's jalapeno and cilantro corn. I like the Romero brand. It's easy to work with, holds up well, and just tastes quality.

I also have to introduce the La Guacamaya hot sauce. This is the best tasting sauce for the money with every bit as much heat as a watered down habanero, in my estimation, anyway.

On to the cook... I took the low and slow approach, with a good dose of hickory smoke. Oh Friends, this came out so moist and tender, and the marinated seasoing was spot on! Here's the start and finish pix.

At last it's time to plate it up and build up them tacos. You can see the plate was chock full of options, with even a side order of beans.

Almost there. Here is a representative taco.

Oh my,... For me that was a mouthwaterin' meal. Okay, I don't usually do a dessert, but today I made a gingerbread topped with whipped cream and marashino cherries. :D

Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:22 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Excellent, and between you and Smokin'Gal we got both corn and flour tortillas! :lol:

I don't know which I envy more: the meal you put together or the $3.99/lb skirt steak! :wink:

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:37 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you, Brad :D

Like you, I'm gonna grab up all the corn I can while I can. And yeah, the price of that skirt steak is certainly something to woo-hoo about. And I was really impressed with the quality of marinade used as well.
Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:49 am
sroach well done
well done

Some awesome looking Barbacoa you got there..

I'll have to keep my eye our for La Guacamaya, looks like good stuff.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 am
Griffin well done
well done

Skirt steak? Barbacoa? That ain't true barbacoa. Barbacoa is s'posed to be made from the head of a cow! :wink: Just giving you a hard time. Them's some good lookin' eats right there and I would dig into them. Nicely done....even if it ain't barbacoa. :wink:

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:42 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Great job on that meal beecuer. :D

Griffin wrote:
Skirt steak? Barbacoa? That ain't true barbacoa. Barbacoa is s'posed to be made from the head of a cow!

LOL. :lol: Good luck getting a typical butcher to sell you one. They'll shake their head no and mumble something about Mad Cow disease. I settled for beef cheeks to make barbacoa and was not disappointed. Need to make that again.....

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:25 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you Griffin and Smokin'gal :D

Griffin-- Did I say "barbacoa?" Oh silly me, I meant Barbara Kohl tacos. She has some smokin' hot recipies, especially her Jamaican cuisine... or is that dja makin?
Got beer???

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

smokin'gal wrote:
Great job on that meal beecuer. :D

Griffin wrote:
Skirt steak? Barbacoa? That ain't true barbacoa. Barbacoa is s'posed to be made from the head of a cow!

LOL. :lol: Good luck getting a typical butcher to sell you one. They'll shake their head no and mumble something about Mad Cow disease. I settled for beef cheeks to make barbacoa and was not disappointed. Need to make that again.....

You can get cows head here in Texas still...they just remove the brains first now.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 am
QJuju well done
well done

Whatever it is called it looks tasty... I will hunting that hot sauce for sure.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:25 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great stuff, beercuer! The steak is picture perfect! You got me droolin'!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:51 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thanks fellas!

Qjuju-- I am convinced you will not be disappointed in "La Guacamaya" sauce, as they use the finest cora chiles, a top quality pepper. It kind of reminds me of Cholula, yet wih a hair more heat and maybe a hint sweeter. Sise by side and given a choice, I would reach for the La Guacamaya-- and at less than 1/3 the price!!! I'd luv to hear your assessment if you try it. :D
Got beer???

Post Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:21 am
cerumen medium-rare
medium-rare

That's not Barbacoa.....you just had Marinated Carne Asada....

Barbacoa is basically a chuck roast.... one of the truer versions of Barbacoa uses cheek meet.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:15 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

That's not Barbacoa.....

Well, it's close enough and it looks just fine and probably tasted fantastic. I'm pretty sure that the original recipe allowed for some substitutions for cow head if you didn't happen to have one handy - that's how a lot of recipes work. :twisted:

Great job, beercuer! :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion