Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Finally...corn!

Finally...corn!

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last week the local produce farm started selling its own corn so I finally had a chance to throw some on the grill.

Even though we've been in a drought for awhile the corn didn't look too bad.

I like to shuck all but the innermost layer of husk before I put it on the grill.
Image Image

Despite the variety of ways an ear of corn can be dressed I almost always opt for nothing more than butter and salt. The biggest ears did have a few starchy kernels but overall I was happy with the quality.

This should sum things up pretty nicely. :wink:

I have a feeling that fresh local corn will be in short supply this year so I'm glad I got at least 1 chance at some.

Brad

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:14 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That's pretty corn with the yellow and white kernels mixed together like that. I too am a huge fan. :D
Got beer???

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:55 am
sroach well done
well done

SC,

Grilled corn is one of the best things you can make. I do it the same way, do you put anything on it before you roll back the husk?

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:01 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Generally no. I'm kind of superstitious in that I don't actually remove the last layer until the corn has actually been cooked, because somehow I've got it in my head that even if the husk gets pulled back up, once the ear's shucked it just won't be as good. :lol:

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:51 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Nice. I don't know what the corn crops have been like this year, but everything I've seen in local stores has been just awful looking. I really look forward to grilling corn often each summer, but I have yet to do any this year.

BTW, I like to use Steven's method from How To Grill and completely pull back the husk before grilling. That Is probably the most frequently requested thing that I grill.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:19 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Very nice! Just got me a bunch of local corn as well. I love this time of year for that very reason!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:09 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Corn season up here starts in about 2 weeks (yes, we can grow it up here too). :twisted: We've been getting it trucked in for the past week or so, though, from the southern part of Alberta and so far the harvest seems good.

In fact, I pass a local corn maze every day on the way to work. I' think I'll drop in when it's ready to pick, but I'll likely need to do that every night I feel like having corn as it's best the day it's picked (some say "the minute it's picked") :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am
2beast medium-well
medium-well

Local corn is pretty weak this year because of the drought :(

I have at least been able to get some good corn that has been shipped in.
I absolutely love sweet corn!

I have some heading to the grill today ..

Greg

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:08 pm
vagriller raw
raw

I picked up a few ears from a local grower here. It was bicolor super sweet that had just been picked. Put it on the grill for lunch and it was awesome! :D
22" Weber Kettle
CG Outlaw with SFB
CG Akorn

Post Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:35 pm
jstewart well done
well done

I guess we're fortunate living out here in California. I'm not sure where the corn comes from, but we've had good fresh corn for the last couple of months. I'll be putting some on the grill this afternoon along with some country style ribs.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Return to General Discussion