Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hook'em & Cook'em

Hook'em & Cook'em

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:03 am
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:
I've got 10 more filets in my freezer and may try blackening some in my cast iron skillet next time. Whatever the case - we're gonna be eating good at my house for a while! :P :D

Really good looking fish, tex_toby - glad you all had a great time!

I wonder if those fish are smokeable? :twisted:
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:32 am
tex_toby well done
well done

CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

I can try, but I'm not sure I can keep them lit. :P :lol:

Seriously though, It's a white flaky fish so I'm not sure how well it would hold up to smoke. I've never personally smoked fish, but I thought that it needed to be an oily fish to do so. Maybe somebody with a little more experience can lend some experience?!?

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:39 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:
CanadaBBQGuy wrote:

I can try, but I'm not sure I can keep them lit. :P :lol:

Seriously though, It's a white flaky fish so I'm not sure how well it would hold up to smoke. I've never personally smoked fish, but I thought that it needed to be an oily fish to do so. Maybe somebody with a little more experience can lend some experience?!?

tex 8)

It should be fine. They smoke up pretty nicely although they can dry out quicker than oily fish, so your catch might work too. I also find that using a brine rather than a dry cure works better on these kinds of fish.

Since I posted the Fish Smoking FAQ I've tried smoking just about every kind of fish I can get, and that includes walleye (which is also white-ish and fairly flaky) and freshwater perch (which is the same as long as you get a big enough one). In fact, I'd rank smoked perch up there with smoked sable (which I finally tried) and smoked red salmon - it's that good.

[rant]
And since some greedy fat redneck slob of an enterpreneur recently dug up what was arguably one of the biggest and best perch beds in Western Canada to expand the beach for his stupid "resort", big freshwater perch are tough to find. We're hoping that Fish and Wildlife hits this guy with a fortune in fines, as there's a law against altering any shoreline in the province without a permit (which he didn't have). But that won't bring back the fish.
[/rant]

We regularly caught 2-pounders in that bed - and considering the record in this province for freshwater perch is 2 5/8 pounds that's a pretty good size (though nothing like those beauties you guys caught!). :D
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Previous

Return to General Discussion