Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hook'em & Cook'em

Hook'em & Cook'em

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm
tex_toby well done
well done

It's been too dang long since I was last able to go out on a charter boat, but I finally broke that misery. Deep sea fishing is the ultimate fun for me and I was able to take my 7yo son out for his first deep sea adventure. We just spent a week of vacation on the beaches of Destin, Florida and it did not disappoint. Here are a few pics of our trip!

My wife Krista & son Jackson with their fighting belts on

Fish On!

Not quite big enough to fight one on his own, but I was glad to hold the pole while he reeled

Big fish eat little fish, BIGGER fish eat big fish! We pulled in two snapper heads like this within 15 min of each other. The sharks beat us to it!

Fishin' Boudreaux's

Bonita - caught this one trolling

We could have caught snapper all day. You are only allowed two a piece so we kept moving trying to get away from them and into some other varieties. All in all, it was a great trip and I can't wait to get back out there.

Time to find its way to my grill. All I can say is....Mighty fine...Mi-T-Fine!

On the halfshell

Seasoned up and ready for the grill

All plated up

tex 8)
20" x 40" Party Gator Pit
Char-Griller Wrangler w/Side-burner - My camping grill

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:41 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Looks like you all had a great time. I bet those were fun to catch. The food looks really good.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:06 pm
jstewart well done
well done

What a trip! The end results sure look good.
Jimmy
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber One Touch Silver

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like you had a great time! Did you grill the fish at home or did you have access to a grill while you were there? After seeing those snapper heads I don't believe I'd reach down to the water to land a fish! :shock:

Did you go to Alvin's Magic Mountain? My wife's family used to go to Destin all the time when she was young and she actually lived there for awhile in the early 1980s.

Brad

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 am
Griffin well done
well done

Very nice, Toby!! Can't get fresher than that. Envious.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 am
sroach well done
well done

Awesome looking trip, looks like you had a perfect weather day going for you.

Looked like a great meal.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:21 am
tex_toby well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
Looks like you had a great time! Did you grill the fish at home or did you have access to a grill while you were there? After seeing those snapper heads I don't believe I'd reach down to the water to land a fish! :shock:

Did you go to Alvin's Magic Mountain? My wife's family used to go to Destin all the time when she was young and she actually lived there for awhile in the early 1980s.

Brad

The only grills I had access to while on vacation were those little park style grills. Nothing else was allowed at the condo complex we were staying in. I brought it home and cooked it where I had all of my tools to properly get the job done.

I've never seen anything there called Alvin's Magic Mountain, but they do have a couple of souvenir type stores called Alvin's Island. Could that be the same thing? We always do have to stop in there for my son to pick something out to take home. We love Destin and my wife and I have seriously discussed moving somewhere along the emerald coast. Pretty stuck where we are here in Texas for the next 5 years, but after that....who knows. :)

tex 8)

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Looks like everyone had a blast, and a good meal to boot!
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:11 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

tex_toby wrote:
I've never seen anything there called Alvin's Magic Mountain, but they do have a couple of souvenir type stores called Alvin's Island. Could that be the same thing? We always do have to stop in there for my son to pick something out to take home.

Mrs. SC says they're probably related, especially if "Alvin" is spelled out in bamboo-looking letters. :lol: Apparently there were/are a number of Alvin's stores in the panhandle and the Magic Mountain Mall was in Panama City. She also thinks Alvin himself is likely long-gone by now. :wink:

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:35 am
QJuju well done
well done

Awesome fishing trip!! I haven't done that in years. Great looking cook too... truly... wish I was there.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:22 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

NICE! Looks like y'all had a blast! :D
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:45 am
tex_toby well done
well done

I've got 10 more filets in my freezer and may try blackening some in my cast iron skillet next time. Whatever the case - we're gonna be eating good at my house for a while! :P :D

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:04 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks awesome! I just wish my family would be more open to eating fish as I love it but everyone else raises a stinkeye to it.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

EddieK1376 wrote:
Looks awesome! I just wish my family would be more open to eating fish as I love it but everyone else raises a stinkeye to it.

The conventional wisdom is to start them with mild, flaky fish, but that can easily backfire. I went with swordfish and shark (which are not really FISHY) but firm and pork-chop like. You can even grill these up with BBQ sauce and not feel weird.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:51 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks like you had an awesome vacation! Nice job on the fish and plate up.

Next

Return to General Discussion