Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Ribs and apple juice brined turkey breast

Ribs and apple juice brined turkey breast

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Brined the turkey breast for about 8 hours in apple juice, salt, honey and sugar then air dried it in the fridge for about four hours. Put it and two racks of St. Louis style spare ribs on the WSM with three golf ball size chunks of pecan and a foiled clay pot base in the water pan.

I pulled the turkey when it hit 160 and it turned out great, very juicy and just about the right amount of smoke. I'm not sure the apple juice and honey really added anything that a plain old salt, sugar and water based brine accomplishes.

The ribs got a bit darker than I like but tasted great. Pecan is a magical wood.

I don't like fall off the bone ribs and always aim for the elusive bite through finish which I nailed this time and tried to show in the last picture.

Enjoy!

If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:18 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Heavenly cookout, Grillingrandpa! Looks delicious! :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 pm
timbarber84 medium-well
medium-well

i dont care for turkey bu5t the ribs look great nice smoke ring
TIMS BBQ

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:43 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Nice cook. The ribs look awesome.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I don't believe I've ever seen a turkey like that before. Was it basically a young bird with the legs removed? When I see turkey breast in the store it usually still has the bone and skin, but has been removed from the rest of the carcass.

Looks like it and the ribs turned out great!

Brad

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:22 pm
QJuju well done
well done

Nice... wish I was there!

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:41 pm
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I don't believe I've ever seen a turkey like that before. Was it basically a young bird with the legs removed? When I see turkey breast in the store it usually still has the bone and skin, but has been removed from the rest of the carcass.

Looks like it and the ribs turned out great!

Brad

It was an odd looking breast, for sure.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:07 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks fantastic, HT! You get tired of everyone calling you "grandpa"? :lol: Been a long time since I've had turkey.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion