Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Carne Asada

Carne Asada

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:33 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

I was unable to shake a craving for Mexican food, and as luck would have it, had some ingredients to whip up some carne asada. I marinated some skirt steak in some Goya Mojo Criollo overnight:

I setup the BGE for direct grilling, while preparing the veggies to go along with the meal. I think this is hot enough:

Meat, Sizzle, and Smoke:

When the skirt steak was done, I grilled up some onions:

I stumbled upon these new tortillas in the store. They are supposed to be "homestyle", so I figured I'd try them out.

These got wrapped between parchment paper, sealed in a food savor bag, and them steamed. This changes the texture a bit--makes them even more soft and tender.

Dinner is served:

That Goya marinade is some wickedly flavorful and robust stuff. I really need to remember to try it on some chicken one day. The well seasoned, citrus tang of the meat, coupled with the sweet charred taste of the onions, and the refreshing, cool crispness of the roma tomatoes and lettuce, made this a highly enjoyable meal. I was kind of full after my third stuffed tortilla - yet I pressed on.

I did manage to spare a bit of room for dessert. What better way to top off a delicious Mexican meal than with some smokey churros? Using this recipe I found online, I started the process by heating up some water and maple smoked butter, until the butter melted and the water began to boil lightly:

Then I added the hickory smoked flour, and stirred the resulting mix until I could get it to form a ball:

Once the dough had cooled down, 1.5 tsp of vanilla extract was added, along with 3 eggs, each added one at a time:

The dough was then added to a piping bag:

Got some oil nice and hot, and began frying the churros:

The sugar coating was made with vanilla bean sugar and cinnamon:

Time for dessert:

These were so darn good. Though, you really can't expect any less with fried dough. Perfectly crispy on the outside, with a light hint of smoke, and a soft, buttery tasting, tender inside:

Buenas Comida.

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:14 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Delightful! Way to go, SG! :D

Curious... Are those tortillas made with lard?

Now this is incredible. Guess what I'm doing today? Except that I'm, going with low and slow approach with some hickory smoke. Proof positive that great minds think alike, yes? :lol:
Got beer???

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:52 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

beercuer wrote:
Curious... Are those tortillas made with lard?

Nope, no lard. They do list vegetable shortening in the ingredients, however..

beercuer wrote:
Now this is incredible. Guess what I'm doing today? Except that I'm, going with low and slow approach with some hickory smoke.

Are you referring to using Goya Mojo or smoking a skirt steak?

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:13 pm
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Thank you for your answer, Smokin'gal. I luv fresh, cilled non-hydrogenated lard.

No Goya, though. I have just what you had, only the labeled it "Barbacoa." It's already plenty marinated, carne asada style. I'm also trying a new tortilla! Yeah, so I smoked my skirt steak. I'll try to post the pics as soon as I can.

Again, way to go! Image
Got beer???

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 pm
Askanison medium
medium

pretty as always.
thanks.
Chargriller Duo w/ SFB
Weber 18.5" Kettle

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:37 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Another great looking mea Smaokin'gal. I love skirt steaks.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:10 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Very nice! You're not going to find anything like at Taco Bell! :lol:

I wish skirt steak was more widely available around here. Usually the best bet is to go to an actual butcher or processor but that involves time and travel.

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

ScreamingChicken wrote:
I wish skirt steak was more widely available around here. Usually the best bet is to go to an actual butcher or processor but that involves time and travel.

Finding skirt steak in a standard store is usually a hit or miss around here--unless you hit up a carniceria. They always have tons of flank steak though.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Dang, that looks great! Do you have any problems with temperature control using briquettes in your egg? I think I see briquettes in your pix anyways...
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:48 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Do you have any problems with temperature control using briquettes in your egg? I think I see briquettes in your pix anyways...

The briquettes that you see are the half a chimney's worth of Royal Oak 100% hardwood briquettes I use to light the RO lump. They burn hot as heck, and don't fall through the bottom of the chimney like lump tends to do.

Return to General Discussion