Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion French Cut Chicken Legs and Some Local Produce

French Cut Chicken Legs and Some Local Produce

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I decided to french some chicken legs tonight for a cheap and simple meal. I went with the marinade that my Puerto Rican-born friend, Frank, recommended to me awhile back. It's a simple marinade of EVOO, White Vinegar, Fresh Garlic and Goya Adobo Seasoning. This is his family's go-to marinade for beef and chicken, and it's quickly becoming my family's go-to as well.

I don't add any wood when I use this marinade...it is flavorful enough on it's own.

You can tell I didn't use any wood by the skin's color...

My wife also bought a box of local fruits and vegetables from a farmer who delivers once per week to her office. The box includes a bunch of stuff, and it's a really good deal. So we are going to start getting our produce from this guy. We decided to use some of it tonight, and had some fresh sides to go with the chicken -- some Cucumber, Tomato and Onion Salad along with some fresh Corn on the Cob. My wife and I love the vinegary kick from the Cucumber Salad. It's a great side dish for the Summer time.

The box of produce also came with a Watermelon and fresh Peaches from Ridge Spring, SC. These are some of the best peaches you'll ever taste. My wife ended up finding a recipe and made some delicious Homemade Peach Ice Cream for dessert. Mmmm.... :)

Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:34 am
smokin'gal well done
well done

Looks like you whipped up a great weekend meal. :D

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:02 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

That is so coool looking!--your "chicken on a stick", Dyal. What an inspired idea. Oh yeah, that's right... South Carolina enjoys quite the reputation for its peaches. Sometimes, I like to drizzle a little peach schnapps atop my vanilla ice cream. Great combination of flavors. :D
Got beer???

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:27 am
jsperk well done
well done

Looks awsome. I never tried peacjhes and cream may have to try that soon.
Are the legs easy to french?
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:15 pm
jsperk well done
well done

I found they weren't to bad to make. Prepped some today to cook on Monday.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:12 am
Griffin well done
well done

Great looking meal, Dyall!! But everybody knows the best peaches come from Texas outside of Fredericksburg.

Post Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

jsperk, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner...crazy coupla weeks. Glad they weren't a pain for you to do. I did hear this tip from another forum:

"When you have the bone exposed, to trim your ends, use a sharp heavy knife, and "push" through with steady pressure JUST beneath the white of the joint, but before it becomes true bone. The bone is much softer here, and you will have a perfect cut, every time. Since the marrow channel is not exposed, you will not have the marrow seepage when cooked. You can also wrap the bones in a folded up piece of foil prior to cooking, which will stop/retard the burning of the bones." ...(tip courtesy of Little Chef from the greeneggers forum)...

I ended up taking his advice and cutting these chicken legs a little closer to the knob this time around, and I noticed much better results...especially with the lack of marrow seepage.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Return to General Discussion