Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Cheat-za pizza

Cheat-za pizza

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:34 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

This one goes back a couple of weeks because these were the first shots on a fresh roll. :wink:

I started with a prepackaged crust, oiled one side, and grilled it for a few minutes.
Image Image

I put the sauce, cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, and black olives on the grilled side.

Previously I'd had some issues with burned crusts so this time I kept the fire really low, but I think it was too low as the toppings didn't get done enough by the time the crust was ready.

So that's where the cheat-za part came in: I added some more cheese and put the pizza under the broiler until it was nicely browned.

To be perfectly honest this was one of the best grilled pizzas I've done. The grill did I nice job on the crust and there was some good flavor from the lump charcoal and oak branch I used, and the broiler did a good job of finishing off the top side. Next time I'm going to try a hotter fire to see if I can get the toppings more done but I wouldn't hesitate to use the broiler again if necessary.

Brad

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:06 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Nothing wrong at all with finishing it under the broiler. The extra wood flavor sounds good.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 am
Griffin well done
well done

Looks great. I would have done the same thing if the top wasn't finishing. Good job.

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:16 am
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Looks great! I just don't enjoy pizza much anymore unless it comes off of a WSM.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Return to General Discussion