Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Chopped pork

Chopped pork

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Last weekend the grocery store had butts for $1.89/lb and since I hadn't done any traditional barbecue for awhile I decided to cook one up on Sunday. Even though this 4-pounder was sold as bone-in the bone just ran through a corner on an angle, so it was really more like a boneless butt.

I combined some Boetje's mustard and some Worcestershire sauce into a very visually unappealing slather that reminded me of when my kids were babies. :wink:

I made a really simple rub of salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and chili (not chile) powder.

The WSM was loaded with briquettes for the Minion method and a big chunk of apple wood. After 8 hours at 250-275 the internal temp still hadn't reached 195, but we were hungry so I pulled it off the fire and let it rest in foil for about 45 minutes. No mopping or foiling during the cook.

I did get a really good smoke ring although it doesn't look like it here, and the bark was excellent. I basically cut and chopped it into small chunks.

Mrs. SC picked up some sesame seed buns at the store and they were just the right size. I opened a bottle of Arkansaw Hog Sauce, which turned out to be pretty good. It's not too sweet and has a nice underlying tang that worked well with the smoky pork.

I've been eating leftovers all week and it tastes just as good as it did Sunday, maybe even a little better since the outer and inner pieces have had a chance to mingle, and I like chunked pork just as much as pulled.

Brad

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:03 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Cubed/sliced pork is always a nice change of pace from traditional pulled pork. Excellent smoke ring!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 am
HoosierTrooper medium-well
medium-well

Looks great. I've never tried chopping it up like that but may have to sometime.
If there's no such thing as a stupid question, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask?

Return to General Discussion