Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Off topic...Wok

Off topic...Wok

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:15 am
scotts1919 medium
medium

Hey everybody.

So i am in the market for a wok. The main use would be inside on a gas stove but i would also like the opportunity to use it with my weber gourmet system. I could take the middle section out and drop the wok in the middle for outdoor cooking.

My question is, what flat bottom woks do people recommend or have experience with?

Thanks for any insight 8)
18.5 WSM
22.5 Weber Silver
22.5 Weber Performer
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:38 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Check out The Wok Shop online. They have a really good selection of woks, both round & flat bottom, and they're inexpensive. The hand hammered carbon steel ones are the way to go, as they're light in weight and they heat up & cool down quickly so temperature control is great and that's a must for stir frying. As much as I am an advocate for cast iron cooking, and I use CI skillets almost exclusively, they are not very good for woks because of the weight and that you cannot get those quick temperature changes. Hope this helps a little!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:19 pm
Nick medium-rare
medium-rare

A Lodge CI Wok will fit in the gourmet grill you have, I use it like that all the time. Not sure if steel is better than CI, thats the only Wok I have, but I like how it works.
Primo XL Oval
BeefEater Discovery 1000e 3-burner

Post Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:16 am
scotts1919 medium
medium

Thanks for the info guys. i think i am going to go with one from the wok shop!
18.5 WSM
22.5 Weber Silver
22.5 Weber Performer
Weber Genesis Gas Grill

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 am
sroach well done
well done

Scotts,

What size are you going to go with. I was looking at the 12" or 14" models. I

Post Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:55 am
beercuer User avatar
well done
well done

Scotts, the general rule of thumb is to go flat bottom wok for electric stove tops and round bottom woks for gas top. Round bottom woks also require a wok ring to support and balance the wok. One can season both iron and carbon steel woks, so they remain as nonstick as possible. CI woks are beastly heavy, as Kenny noted, and take a while to bring up to heat and they take their pleasing time to cool down. However, they do have the advantage of a more consistent temperature distribution along the whole surface, especially is you are cooking over gas or flame where the heat source is concentrated in a very narrow point.

Myself, I use the CI exclusively as it is very predictable, though there is a whole lot to be said about the lighter carbon steel. In light of what you say, for you, my arrogant opinion is that you need both-- a round bottom carbon steel (with wok ring) for your indoor gas stove, and a flat bottom CI for the grill. :D
Got beer???

Return to General Discussion