Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Pecan Chocolate Bourbon Pie *** Updated****

Pecan Chocolate Bourbon Pie *** Updated****

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Griffin well done
well done

Decided to bake a pecan pie to take to my Parents' House tomorrow. Just a teaser shot for now.

Little Action Shot

Just about done

Done

Turned out even better than I hoped. This was one rich pie, but oh so good. Definitely going to go into the rotation. Took a little over an hour at 400F and it was super simple. The recipe is over on my blog if you are interested.

Chocolate Pecan Bourbon Pie
Last edited by Griffin on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:40 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Looks good. Do you find it overly smoky? When I made those cookies I thought the smoke was overpowering.

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:59 pm
Griffin well done
well done

The few times I've made dessert, I either let the lump burn a good long time, used old lump that had been burned before or used that coconut extracted lump (nice sweet sugary smell to it when it burns)

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 pm
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
The few times I've made dessert, I either let the lump burn a good long time, used old lump that had been burned before or used that coconut extracted lump (nice sweet sugary smell to it when it burns)

Thanks. I think I'll take that tip and make something on Thursday!

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Great looking pie, Griffin! Can't wait to see the results! Pecan Pie is one of my favorites! :)

EddieK1376 wrote:
Griffin wrote:

Some lump charcoal is more "smoky" than others.... When I don't want a smoky flavor (like on desserts, some casseroles and breads), I make sure to use good quality charcoal that is completely carbonized. If you're using charcoal that has a few lumps that still look "woody" and not black, it's going to give off a strong woody aroma and flavor. Also, if the cook prior included any wood chips or chunks, you may want to make sure that all of those have completely burned off, or better yet just take that out and start fresh.

You just recently bought some of that really good quality "Wicked Good Charcoal." That stuff burns super clean, so it shouldn't give you any off flavors. Just make sure to look at your lump before firing it up, and like Griffin said, make sure you let it burn off for awhile before adding your dessert. You should have practically zero smoke coming out of your exhaust when it's ready. Good luck!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:38 am
EddieK1376 well done
well done

Dyal_SC wrote:
Great looking pie, Griffin! Can't wait to see the results! Pecan Pie is one of my favorites! :)

EddieK1376 wrote:
Griffin wrote:

Some lump charcoal is more "smoky" than others.... When I don't want a smoky flavor (like on desserts, some casseroles and breads), I make sure to use good quality charcoal that is completely carbonized. If you're using charcoal that has a few lumps that still look "woody" and not black, it's going to give off a strong woody aroma and flavor. Also, if the cook prior included any wood chips or chunks, you may want to make sure that all of those have completely burned off, or better yet just take that out and start fresh.

You just recently bought some of that really good quality "Wicked Good Charcoal." That stuff burns super clean, so it shouldn't give you any off flavors. Just make sure to look at your lump before firing it up, and like Griffin said, make sure you let it burn off for awhile before adding your dessert. You should have practically zero smoke coming out of your exhaust when it's ready. Good luck!

Thanks Dyal! I think I'm gonna make something tomorrow! Especially after seeing Griffin's Pecan Pie! I literally could eat a whole one in one day by myself.

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:45 pm
smokin'gal well done
well done

Never been a fan of pecan pie, but I'd try a slice of one cooked on the Egg. :)

Post Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:06 pm
sroach well done
well done

Can't wait to see the results...

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:49 am
Griffin well done
well done

Ok, here it is updated. Turned out amazing. Will be making this one again for sure.

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:00 pm
Trollby well done
well done

Griffin wrote:
Ok, here it is updated. Turned out amazing. Will be making this one again for sure.

Sure it did?!

No slice pictures so I guess need to make again and send me some to test :)

Thanks for sharing

Post Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:19 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

That is one of the most amazingest desserts I've ever heard of....I am a huge fan of those ingredients...I am making this one as soon as I get the chance!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:09 am
jfm0830 well done
well done

Excellent looking dessert. Glad to see you are getting into dessert on the grill in a big way.

Jim
2 Large BGEs
Kenmore Elite 6 Burner Gas Grill
BBQ Site: http://grillinsmokin.net

Post Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:09 pm
jsperk well done
well done

Awesome looking pie.
Weber OTG/smokneator/rotisserie
Grill Dome/Stoker

Post Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:07 pm
Nancy Lou BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griffin, beautiful job on the pie. Steven wants to repost on his blog either today or tomorrow along with some other 4th of July grilling successes.

All good wishes,

Nancy Loseke
Personal Assistant to Steven Raichlen

Post Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:27 am
Griffin well done
well done

Wow! I'm floored. That's awesome. :D

Return to General Discussion