Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion charcoal

charcoal

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 pm
timbarber84 medium
medium

i see a lot of guys on here useing briquets still. i wanted to change to natural but ive discovered that natural lights easer and burns hotter then briquets but briquets seem to burn longer thus useing less charcoal any thoughts on this
TIMS BBQ

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:58 pm
lostarrow well done
well done

Tim, unless you go through several hundred pounds of charcoal a year the cost difference is not a big deal.
Some cookers must use lump , ( most kamodo's)
Advantages of lump,
1) easy to light
2) burns hot if needed
3) very little ash
4) better taste???
Advantages of briquittes
1) a denser fuel, longer burns if your using a offset with small fire box
2) consistent burn & temp
3) cheaper ( between home & hunt camp 500+ lbs / year) & we can find on sale for $0.20/lb

As far as taste there are people who say they can taste the difference .
I'm nearly 60 & taste declines with age I can't.
Taste is different ( there are people who like liver :?:
New Braunfels
vermont castings gas grill
WSM
Char-Griller Kamodo

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:57 pm
timbarber84 medium
medium

thanks lostarrow yes i use the cg with a fire box and need the longer burns im 54 and have used both but cant tell a diffrence in taste
TIMS BBQ

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:56 am
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

Tim: I use 100% natural lump charcoal. It is the only thing I will use. I started out this way and that probably is a major reason why I don't like briquettes. To me, it is not that lump burns hotter, rather briquettes burn cooler. With a bullet smoker being so efficient with heat disbursement, I can get over 12 hours on a single load of lump charcoal. I got less out of briquettes. As for taste, I do notice a difference. I might be prejudice, I don't know. Maybe I want the briquettes to be worse. Whatever the case, I use lump.
Side note: Stay away from anything not natural or says easy light, etc. unless you like the flavor of lighter fluid on your food. Chicken seems to be the worst about bringing out the petroleum flavor. YUCK!
Hope I was able to help you with your decision making. If you experiment, try to be as objective as possible. Pre-conceived opinions will sour the experiment.
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:47 am
Married_Man medium-well
medium-well

I have not done direct taste comparisons, but I *think* I notice a taste difference.

That said, I definitely smell a difference in the smoke. All the briquettes I've used smell bitter. Good lump has a sweet smell that I love even when there's no food on the grill.

I have come across lump brands that smell bad, but I've never smelled briquettes that smell good.
CG Akorn - Kamado Kooker
CG Super Pro w/SFB
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"

Return to General Discussion