Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Some simple chicken legs

Some simple chicken legs

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:37 am
Griffin well done
well done

Last nights dinner was a pretty simple one. After work, I came home and mowed the yard and then started on seasoing my new wok that I got last week. I was seasoning it on the Egg at about 400 F. Rub it with some peanut oil, heat for awhile, take it off to cool and repeat a few times. Not quite black yet, but I figure a few cooks will take care of that.

Figured since I had the Egg going, might as well cook dinner on it. Dug through the fridge and freezer to see what we had on hand since I didn't feel like going to the store. Ended up with 4 chicken legs. Rubbed them down with my ole favorite Stubb's rub that has been neglected lately and threw them on. Normally, we aren't real big sauce fans, but for some reason last night, we both wanted sauce on the chicken. You know....like the kind of bbq chicken you might have grown up on or were served at church after service or a picnic in the park. So towards the end of the cook, they got slathered in some Stubb's BBQ sauce. Was served up with the last of a bag of french fries I found in the freezer, some broccolli and cheese and a little salad on the side. Came out just right. Sometimes is pays to go with the classic way of doing something.

Sorry for the bad pic. I knew this wasn't going on the blog and at first it wasn't even going to make an appearance here, but at the last second, I grabbed the camera and took one hurried pic. Bad lighting, bad presentation, but great food.

Can't wait to try some stir fry on the Egg tonight. :D

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:59 am
Kenny 13 well done
well done

Sometimes simple is just sooooooooooooooo good though. My wings that ended up having to go in the oven Sunday were just Weber's Kick'n Chicken rub and Sucklebuster's sauce. Would have been so good cooked on the grill. Anyway, I think people often get carried away trying to do too much when something really simple will more than suffice.

BTW, I meant to reply in your other thread about the wok but hadn't had a chance. I've posted this here before too - Grace Young's Breath of a Wok is a fantastic read. It goes into the history of woks, talks about how to season and care for them, and has a bunch of good recipes that demonstrate the different techniques. I highly recommend it and you can find it at Amazon or just about any good bookstore.

I need to get off my rear end and cook in my wok again. It's been quite some time, and I also have a bamboo steamer my daughter got me for Xmas a year ago that I haven't even taken out of the wrapper. The egg is great for cooking on a wok though because you can get that heat you cannot generate on a normal residential stovetop. One word of advice - preparation. Have everything prepped and ready to go before you even think about cooking and everything will go smoothly. Enjoy!
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:18 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I've got that book on the top of my amazon wishlist. Just need to order, should check half price books, first, though.

I know all about the mis en plas. I've done a kind of stir fry before on the egg using a CI skillet on top of the grate.

How would you suggest I heat up the Egg? I'm getting lots of different responses on where to stabilize it, from 350 -500. Then do I leave the bottom vent open or closed when i start?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:38 pm
Kenny 13 well done
well done

The few times I used my wok on the egg, I let it get in that 500° + range then closed the bottom vent almost completely. I found it got really hot really fast. You want a hot wok for stir frying, but not necessarily that hot.

Next time around I'm gonna shoot for a temperature more in the 350° range and see how that works out. I need to get a new pair of welding gloves so I can do that.
Large Big Green Egg

What's On The Grill?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:15 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Looks tasty! Can't wait to see your stir fry!!!!!!!
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:14 am
BBcue-Z well done
well done

Looks delicious!!
Simple is the way to go during busy times.

Post Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:30 am
Griffin well done
well done

Thanks Dying_of_heartburn and Z. Sometimes simple is just better.

Return to General Discussion