Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion The Char-Griller Family

The Char-Griller Family

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am
Dgrey87 raw
raw

I know this one's kind of old, but do you think thinks have changed a lot? i think there are still more gas grillers

http://www.statista.com/statistics/2717 ... -of-grill/

Post Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:37 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

I recall an episode of BBQ U where Steven mentioned that gas grill ownership was about 70% (I think) in the US, so if the numbers are accurate they've been pretty stable over the last 10 years or so.

What would be more telling would be the stats for gas only, charcoal only, and both.

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:45 pm

What a great page. I just put together my CG Smokin Pro in our new house and have used it twice since seasoning. I have made a couple of simplistic mods, and having read the posts from the older topic will be making some more in the near future.

Has anyone used just wood and not charcoal to with their CG? I'm on and bottom of a steep learning curve of using charcoal at almost 9K feet. It takes almost an hour for a chimney of coals to heat up, whereas I can get a fire going with some nice dry hickory much faster...actually started one in the SFB. Thoughts?

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:21 am
BBQ Deputy

That's some serious elevation, CWB!

There's nothing wrong with using strictly wood but as you mentioned there might be a bit of a learning curve. Plus because every piece of wood is different (to some degree) there's always the chance it'll be a little less consistent than briquettes and the fire might require a bit more tending. But that's no big deal if you already enjoy doing that!

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:22 pm
CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

CWB - I've done several all-wood cooks on my Outlaw and they work fine. You do go through wood faster than charcoal, so you'll have to babysit the fire more often. In addition, you'll get a much smokier end product, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Here's an idea: start it with wood, and then add charcoal later in the cook. Once the fire is established, the charcoal will catch normally and burn longer. This may even out the temperature spikes a bit and it will definitely cut down on oversmoking the meat too.

If the issue is just with starting the charcoal and not with continuous burning, try blasting the chimney with a propane weed torch for a few minutes. I fire mine straight down the top of the chimney and my charcoal is lit and burning fiercely in a few minutes and then there's no problem.

I've also put a chimney on my old Coleman campstove for 3 minutes and gotten similar results, as well as on one of those big butane stoves with the side tank (which takes the long bottles, not the backpacking canisters). This isn't a trick for the faint of heart as it needs to be monitored closely. This also can't be done with stoves with the fuel tank directly under the burner as the heat will ignite the tank and send the stove into orbit.
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Many thanks CharredGriller and ScreamingChicken…great advice that I will incorporate on my next smoke, especially the propane stove under the chimney. Because right now it's taking almost double the amount of time to the coals ready in the chimney (which is really just one more beer). Thinking about just ordering a chord of hickory as well. I used a couple of spare pieces over the weekend to keep the heat constant in the cooking chamber. Smoked a great set of ribs and threw a flank steak on for the last 90 mins. Turned out great (sorry no pics) Was impressed how turning the smoker so the vent side of the SFB was into the wind increased my temp by 50 degrees. Seems obvious now.

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:46 pm

Didn't get around to posting last weekend (lousy internet problems). Smoked a great brisket on the CG Smoking Pro. Maybe my best one yet. Smoked it for about 11 hours. Foiled it for the last two hours to make up for the 4 hours I just bailed on it so I could take the family hiking up in Mueller State Park.

IMG_0657.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg (12.12 KiB) Viewed 723 times

IMG_0666.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg (10.51 KiB) Viewed 723 times

IMG_0667.jpg
The Fat Tire was not included in the recipe…I was drinking it. Have to live up to my name
IMG_0667.jpg (11.05 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:58 pm

Yup…two posts in 1 night. This weekend was indirect grilling weekend vice pure smoking. I knew I couldn't start until around 3:30pm because we were out hiking around the base of Pikes Peak today. So I went with a Bison Flank Steak and Cedar Planked a salmon filet. I didn't take pics of the seasoning…but for both made a paste: Minced 4 cloves of garlic, mixed w/course sea salt and pepper, worked some olive oil in….for the steak some basil…but not on the salmon. Had a drip pan under the planks and steak of some nasty red wine we opened, with walnut oil and water. Steak was amazing. Cooked faster then I thought it would…caught it at 142. Was worried it would be too dry since it was Bison, but it was very moist and flavorful. Salmon was great…maybe a little too salty. Didn't get around to taking too many pics as we were having archery contests with new target. I lost to my 11yr old but I was the only one who hit the bulls eye.
IMG_0672.jpg
IMG_0672.jpg (11.77 KiB) Viewed 723 times

IMG_0673.jpg
This is actually another flank steak I threw on after the fact so the wife could use it for dinner another night
IMG_0673.jpg (10.03 KiB) Viewed 723 times

IMG_0670.jpg
Thanks for the advice on the charcoal!!! This took 20 mins from lighter to ready.
IMG_0670.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 723 times

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 am
BBQ Deputy

Nice-looking dinner, CWB! What did you do with the drip pan of wine and walnut oil? Did you make a sauce out of it? Or was it there more for aromatic reasons?

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 am

I use it to flavor the meat while cooking then dump it in my fire pit. I don't mop much so to keep the food moist I like putting oil and either wine or beer, along with water in my drip pan. I actually never thought about using it for a sauce like I do for Turkey gravy. I may try that next time.

Previous

Return to General Discussion