Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion First Chcuk on the Egg

First Chcuk on the Egg

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:54 pm
Griffin well done
well done

So starting tonight we are expecting some bad weather here in Dallas. Nothing like the rest of the country has seen this winter, but people down here can't drive in rain and sleet and snow. So as much time as i have accumulated here at work I decided to take the day off to avoid the crazies on the road and try my hand at a chuckie. Think it was just short of 4 pounds. Maybe 3.9lbs.

So I read up. Seems like 250 is the way to go till it hits 160, then foil till it hits 200 or 205? Do I need to add some liquid when I foil it? Any basic guideline on how long it generally takes per pound? Just trying to figure out when I need to get it started to have it done in time for dinner.

Don't worry, I'll post pics. Got nothing else to do tomorrow except watch some movies and sip on a bloody mary or two

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:08 pm
SCBBQBill well done
well done

Grif.. Check out my first one....

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=21248&highlight=chuckie

I did not add any liquid when I foiled and in fact I actually had too much liquid when I opened the foil!.....Good stuff right there! :wink:

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:47 pm
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Can't wait to see those pix! Don't just give us a pic of a bottle of seasoning again. :roll:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:59 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Just for your, Diegal

So Bill....about 5.5hrs? I looked and mine was 3.92 lbs.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

Thanx, Emperor! :lol: Too funny... When I smoked my last chuck roast, it stayed on for a little under 8 hours...then I foiled for an hour after that. I guess maybe it was windy or something that day....who knows. I'd start a little earlier just to make certain it's done on time. If it finishes early, I don't see where a little more rest time in the cooler would hurt anything. Sounds like you have a nice gameplan in place, and with your Egg, I doubt weather conditions will even matter.
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:45 am
tbk420 well done
well done

I do a lot of chucks, and usually "budget" 3 hrs/lb. Foil at 165, take to 205. Let rest for at least an hour. Also, I pour the drippings in a cup/bowl, and put in the fridge. Once the fat separates and congeals on the top, I remove it and throw the remaining juices back in the meat.

Oh - and without pictures, THIS NEVER HAPPENED! :wink:

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:23 am
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Griff, I've done my chuck roasts without foiling until the post-cook rest period and they've turned out fine. It's so forgiving that I really can't see a "right" or "wrong" way to cook it.

Brad

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 am
Griffin well done
well done

i knew it was gonna be cold and nasty.

Gonna go back out and light the egg in a bit.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 am
BBQ Deputy

So do major winter storms like that cause everyone to panic and mob the grocery stores? :lol:

Brad

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:43 am
Griffin well done
well done

Yes. You would think it was the end of the world yesterday at the local grocery stores. It was a mad house. All I needed was a chuck and some bloody mary mix.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:21 pm
Griffin well done
well done

Nice little beverage

Like how I'm teasin ya with no actual shots of meat yet? Maybe there actually is no chuck...... :twisted:

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:39 pm
BBQ Deputy

Or it's boiling away on top of the stove... :twisted:

Brad

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:50 pm
Griffin well done
well done

I'm just messin with ya. It went on at 10:45, Dome temp 250.

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:09 pm
Griffin well done
well done

7 hours and about to be wrapped in foil

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:50 pm
Griffin well done
well done

So tbk was closest saying about 3 hours a lb. I just pulled her off at 7:45ish so that made it almost 9 hrs for a 3.92 lber. Its sitting in a cooler now resting that i warmed up with hot water. Gonna try and let it sit for an hour, but 30 minutes might be more reasonable as I'm pretty hungry. I did drain off all the liquid and i have it resting in the fridge. I'll skim the fat off of it before adding back to the pulled beef.

Did I mention I am not going to work tomorrow either? I called the boss man and he didn't go in today and won't be going in tomorrow either. Think I'll have some more wild turkey.

Next

Return to General Discussion