Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion cold smoker - any opions?

cold smoker - any opions?

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
Post Thu May 20, 2010 5:12 pm
FrankC well done
well done

A friend of mine sent me this link for a cold smoke generator for cheese and cold smoked salmon. Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have any experience with it? I'm thinking the kids need to give dear ole dad something for father's day....is this something you'd want?

http://www.amazenproducts.com/Products.html

fc :)
Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Thu May 20, 2010 5:19 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

It looks like a knock off of the Pro-Q Cold Smoke Generator. I don't know about that, but I do <3 my Pro-Q CSG.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Thu May 20, 2010 5:27 pm
FrankC well done
well done

Another person told me about the Pro-Q. Are you saying that you have 3 of them? Are they also made of Stainless Steel?

fc
Large Big Green Egg
Medium Big Green Egg

Post Thu May 20, 2010 8:38 pm
jcharpentier well done
well done

looks good and available in the U.S

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:19 am
Ian Mack well done
well done

It is a copy of our unit http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html, not sure of the quality, as I haven't seen one in the flesh, but I do know that it won't give as long a burn time, as I tried the exact same configuration, when developing our product.
The Mesh we use is food grade stainless and the frame is chromed.

Which ever one you decide on, you will love the simplicity and ease of use.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 am
tbk420 well done
well done

Wish you guys offered refills in the US, Ian. Smokinlicious is certainly ok, but I noticed that it is a finer grain of dust, resulting in lower burn times (at least for me).

Wonderful product - I love my Cold Smoke Generator. Recently posted a thread showing my first cold smoked salmon, and it was so much better than store bought.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 8:09 am
TSMFLORIDA well done
well done

Love love love love the pro-q smoke generator. I am still on my initial bag of dust. Pretty damn accurate about 10 hour burn time. I smoke cheese for about an hour or so. Looks like I have 1 maybe 2 more smokes on the pro q. That would put it about 101/2 hours. After I ordered my first 1 and used it, I was so impressed that I ordered 5 more. 2 were Christmas gifts, 1 was a graduation gift with a new grille, 1 was sold to a board member, and I have 1 left. (I am willing to part with it if someone is interested).
I am not familiar with the one on your link though. Sorry.
Ted
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker
22" Vertical Smoker
Pro Q cold smoke generator
BBQ grillware charcoal grille

Post Fri May 21, 2010 9:50 am
outagas well done
well done

That product looks inferior to the Pro-Q. The solid bottom will block airflow and hinder a continuous burn. Go visit Ian, and buy the best! http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/CSG.html

For saw dust try PS Seasoning. You get a lot for the money there. https://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/act/products.view/category_id/20
"El método del Su Excelencia, el Rey Minion"

Post Fri May 21, 2010 12:04 pm
Baychilla medium-rare
medium-rare

FrankC wrote:
Another person told me about the Pro-Q. Are you saying that you have 3 of them? Are they also made of Stainless Steel?

fc

Sorry, <3 is inetese for love. I do love mine. Nothing quite like homemade maple smoked bacon. Mmm bacon.
WSM
Weber Genesis
Large BGE

Post Fri May 21, 2010 2:28 pm
nicneufeld well done
well done

Not sure what the proper terminology is for this, but while the Pro-Q has a sort of metal "frame" with a sort of metal mesh that it supports, this looks like sheet metal stamped with holes, sure there is a proper name for that. I think airflow would be better in the Pro-Q, but I dunno! Obviously the spiral pattern vs the inline pattern are another difference, I couldn't vouch for the effectiveness of either, but it sounds like Ian has tested both in production and probably has his reasons why he chose the spiral pattern. I do think the "starter ramp" with a slot for a candle is a clever feature of the pro-q model.

Unfortunately I can't find any hi-res pics of the "amazen" but here's one from their site. Looks very "stamped":

Contrast the construction and materials to the Pro-Q:

I think I'd still go for the Pro-Q, not that I'm not pleased to see evidence of further burgeoning interest in cold smoking. It just appears to be slightly better made, and has more track record at present of happy customers (myself included).

EDIT: Photo credit above to Don Marco from an early review he did...never hurts having DM photo your product, he has as much a gift with a camera as with grill tongs...
22" Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold w/ Smokenator
2009 18.5" WSM
Pro Q Cold Smoke Generator

Return to General Discussion