Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion Hot Tub steak help- updated with pictures

Hot Tub steak help- updated with pictures

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:33 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

I should be at work, but it's overrated so decided not to go today... :lol: Just kidding, I had to take the day off to slap some paint on the ol' homestead. So I have a worker doing that for me as I surf the web and watch tv. :lol: This is way better than work or painting. :wink:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am
Dyal_SC well done
well done

By the way, if you're at work, what the heck are you doing on the forum???!!!! Caught ya!!! :lol:
Large BGE
CG Duo with SFB

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:19 pm
jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

SCmustardman
which potato cutter did you get? Also, I'm a bit confused as to why we start with fries in cold oil instead of just lowering them into hot oil like restaurants. What benefit does lowering them into cold oil give us? Lastly, what type of oil did you use?

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:46 pm
phillyjazz well done
well done

I have a potato cutter, but never used Yukons because they are so waxy, not starchy. Red bliss are even more so. I always use Russets to fry, specifically because they are "mealy" and contain less moisture (though I do bathe them in ice water beforehand, and then towel dry before hot oil.) I have been using the traditional Belgian (fried-twice) technique at low temps to cook, and then high to crisp.

I would LOVE an easier method ...
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:11 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

jeffostroff wrote:
SCmustardman
which potato cutter did you get? Also, I'm a bit confused as to why we start with fries in cold oil instead of just lowering them into hot oil like restaurants. What benefit does lowering them into cold oil give us? Lastly, what type of oil did you use?

Here is the cutter that I use:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... es-slicers

It's much easier to use than a mandoline. With this method, the oil never even goes over 350 degrees so you can use just about any oil since the smoke point is never reached. I use canola since it is a healthier option and has little flavor. The beauty is that the potatoes absorb less oil than the traditional hot oil method. With fresh cut french fries, you typically need to cook them at two temperatures. Once around 325 to cook them thoroughly, and once at 375 to crisp the outside. This method keeps you from having to do that. The oil also does not spatter as much.

Phillyjazz- With this method, Yukon golds have the perfect starch content. Apparently with russets, they release too much starch and they all stick together. One key when making them- DO NOT stir them until the 20 minute mark. As they release starch they become very sticky. After 20 minutes, the starch has crisped enough to where you can stir them.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Post Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:52 pm
YardBurner BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

Looks like the ol' Ronco Veg-O-Matic
on steroids and throughly thought out!

Going to W-S this w/e and I'll check one out.

-YB
Weber Summit E-470
Weber 22" MasterTouch
Performer One Touch
Traeger Lil Tex
New Braunfels Hondo
Bar-B-Chef
Weber Q-220

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:47 am
phillyjazz well done
well done

SCmustardman - Do you rinse the potatoes before frying ?? Many recipes I have used give them an ice water bath.
- Phillyjazz -

Grill Dome ceramic / Ducane Affinity 4200 gasser/ Concrete pit

Post Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm
jeffostroff medium-rare
medium-rare

SCmustardman , did you use any mix of spices or anythin on the fired for flavoring after cooking, or just slt. Anyone else got any recipe I can try to for sprinking on the fries?

Post Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm
SCmustardman well done
well done

jeffostroff wrote:
SCmustardman , did you use any mix of spices or anythin on the fired for flavoring after cooking, or just slt. Anyone else got any recipe I can try to for sprinking on the fries?

I just season with some kosher salt. I like the big flakes. Every once in a while, I will season fries with some store bought seasoning salt, such as Lawrys.

phillyjazz wrote:
SCmustardman - Do you rinse the potatoes before frying ?? Many recipes I have used give them an ice water bath.

I don't rinse them. I think that rinsing might help with really starchy potatoes, but not with Yukons.
I've never had a bad day barbequeing or fishing. I've just had some that were better than others.

Previous

Return to General Discussion