Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion My first standing rib roast is coming, a question or 2...

My first standing rib roast is coming, a question or 2...

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.
TheRod medium
medium

Since my local grocery only carries standing rib roasts this time of year, and since I have never tried one, i decided I needed to give it a go. So I have on hand a 4-bone, bone-in standing rib roast ready for grilling action. My wife or I neither one care for strong flavors or heavy-handed seaoning, so I was only planning to dose him in salt and pep. First question: She doesn't like anything not done to at least medium-well. Can I take the meat to medium, or a little beyond, letting carry-over temps take me to medium-well, and not have dry meat? I'm using a Weber perfomer, what temp should I try to get my grill to? And I also think I need to get a bag of hickory. I have mesquite and cherry, but I thought I might try hickory with the roast. Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks!
22" Performer

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm
ScreamingChicken BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

If she's not a big eater the 2 end cuts would probably be just fine for her; otherwise, consider cutting it into a pair of 2-bone roasts and cooking 1 to her liking.

My experience has been that a lower temperature like 225-250 will give more even cooking while 325-350 creates a more done edge to each slice.

Brad

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:30 pm
Trollby well done
well done

I would recommend making a light rub since you do not like "strong" flavors.

Use Pepper, Salt, Garlic and Rosemary.

Just make a small batch with dry spices and rub lightly on the meat. This way not over powering but adds a little more to the meat.

If your going to smoke use do not use mesquite since will over power.

Post Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:56 pm
rogerja well done
well done

Take it to 140 (no higher). The end pieces should be more of a med-well. If not, just slap them on the grill for a couple minutes.

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:19 pm
mrjohnnyucla medium-rare
medium-rare

I just did two prime ribs on saturday.

Pulled one at 125 for us meat lovers, and pulled the second one at 145 for the folks who like their meat over cooked ;)

The 145 was just right for the people who liked their meat medium or higher.

I prefer a little less than 125 myself, but I was the outlier of the group.

Satisfied all the people at the table.

Post Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 pm
Woodbutcher68 well done
well done

Perfect Flame 5 Burner
CG SuperPro w/SFB and RiboLator

CharredGriller User avatar
BBQ Deputy
BBQ Deputy

TheRod wrote:
Any and all tips appreciated. Thanks!

OK - for tips, have you seen our Prime Rib FAQ?
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=15463
Unlike propane, you'll never wake up scorched and naked in another county because you mishandled a bag of briquettes.

Return to General Discussion