Board index Barbecue Board General Discussion CG Mod Loew's Basket with Pics

CG Mod Loew's Basket with Pics

This is the place to ask your BBQ questions, share information, and more.

Post Tue May 19, 2009 4:44 pm
Low-N-Slow rare
rare

thanks Grillmeister - no can do - USA Lowe's won't ship to Canada and Canadian Lowe's don't carry it. :(

Jazzspot got me the supplier, I tracked down the retailer and it looks like I'm just going to buy the sheet myself and try to cut and bend it at home. Hopefully I select a gauge that's sturdy enough for the fire yet pliable enough for me to work with. This is turning into a Royal Pain!

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:12 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Low-N-Slow wrote:
thanks Grillmeister - no can do - USA Lowe's won't ship to Canada and Canadian Lowe's don't carry it. :(

Jazzspot got me the supplier, I tracked down the retailer and it looks like I'm just going to buy the sheet myself and try to cut and bend it at home. Hopefully I select a gauge that's sturdy enough for the fire yet pliable enough for me to work with. This is turning into a Royal Pain!

The 3/4" spaced expanded metal is rigid and will give you a little work out in bending it. But it's not too difficult. Use gloves of course in bending it. A paver slab or 2x4 will help for leverage in bending. Also, be sure not to get the zinc or other coating on the expanded metal. You want pure steel.
Also, I used a Dremel to cut the metal when I made my basket. PITA, but I got it done. :lol:
ImageImage

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:42 pm
Low-N-Slow rare
rare

thanks again for all your input. I have 30 confirmed guests plus some "maybe's" for this weekend. Sounds like i'll need to have a lot of charcoal.

Not sure how big a roast its going to take to feed em all, but i'm thinking 20 pounds of Boston Butt to make sure there's plenty and some left overs for the hosts....

Post Tue May 19, 2009 5:58 pm
jazzspot well done
well done

Low-N-Slow wrote:
thanks again for all your input. I have 30 confirmed guests plus some "maybe's" for this weekend. Sounds like i'll need to have a lot of charcoal.
Not sure how big a roast its going to take to feed em all, but i'm thinking 20 pounds of Boston Butt to make sure there's plenty and some left overs for the hosts....

I would get the pork cooked and pulled ASAP. Ziplock or FoodSaver bag the meat and freeze if cooked several days prior to the event. I wouldn't plan for the day of the event to get the pork cooked and pulled. Ribs and other items which will take no more than 6 hours to finish, I will usually cook the day of the event.
As for the amount of charcoal needed for your cook, I've no idea. I always have a large supply of charcoal available. But I have the storage space to do that.
Last edited by jazzspot on Tue May 19, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage

Post Tue May 19, 2009 6:02 pm
Low-N-Slow rare
rare

people are coming over Saturday around 5:30. I was going to start at noon Friday. Never done this before, but I guess I assumed that 30 hours would be plenty and once its done, pulled and sauced, I could keep it warm in a big trough on the smoker until dinner time.

figure this is best done a few days ahead? I guess i thought it'd be more fun taking it right off the smoker.

Previous

Return to General Discussion